Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Bacterial Disorders Forum

Klebsiella Oxytoca

Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
User Profile
Hi,

I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what the bacteria Klebsiella Oxytoca is about.
My dad has this bacteria and doctors can't kill it...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Get797healthy
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Has he been hospitalized recently?
Was he treated with invasive devices like respiratory support equipment or urinary catheters?
What is he complaining of?

Klebsiellae species can cause a variety of clinical syndromes.
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
He has colon cancer that has spread to the liver. It was diagnosed last year.
In April, he was hospitalized, had fever and felt nauseous - now he feels better (he's at home).
Doctors have tried 3 different antibiotics that they say to be the best, and still it didn't die.
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
K. oxytoca is one of the main member of this genus responsible for most human infections.
It's a opportunistic pathogen, meaning that usually do not cause disease in a healthy immune system, but, a compromised immune system (cancer sufferer), however, presents an "opportunity" for the pathogen to infect.
There are many multidrug-resistant strains of Klebsiella (antibiotics don't kill them), that are highly virulent (ability to cause disease), and have an extraordinary ability to spread.

Has this bacterium infected his lungs?
Does he experience thick, bloody sputum?
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: v00d00cita 

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2008
No, the bacterium is only in his liver, he had fluid analized last week and it was still there.
Well, I understand that he is not very strong, as he is ill...
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I guess your father has cholangitis, a bacterial infection of the biliary tree, that is superimposed on an obstruction of the biliary tree due to a gallstone, cancer or stricture (narrowing). Infection can spread to hepatic ducts (liver ducts), causing serious infection.
In half of these cases, Klebsiella is the cause.
Poor health status is an important contributing factor.

Best wishes for you and your family!
Marija
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2008
Thanks again. He's going to the doctor this week, I'll post here any news about it.
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome anytime!
Hope you father feels better!
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2008
Thanks,
My father has done blood tests again and got the confirmation that the bacteria is still there, but not on the blood, so it isn't spreading. Quite good news, in fact. Smile
|

replied April 11th, 2011
Klebsiella Oxytoca`
My dad has this and it is in his lungs. What are his chances? He is in the hosptial, had open heart surgery 3 weeks ago. He has been put on the vent 3 times now. We are concern.
|

replied August 4th, 2012
Klebsielle Oxytoca
My brother has Klebsielle Oxytoca in his colon, using two tubes. He is hospitalized, and underwent through three surgeries, the doctors cut his large intestine, but because of the limited doctors and outnumbered patients, the care and concern is limited. Please advise what medications and treatments can be taken, and what food (as he is having liquid food like soup but he lost his appetite and bloating after eating) can be served? What measure can be taken to improve his health and kill the bacteria? Please please please advice. Thank you!
|

replied August 5th, 2012
Klebsiella oxytoca
Kill klebsiella oxytoca? That will be the day....
I have had this bug for 8 months as far as I know..
I'm not in hospital nor have I been in hospital to have surgery this year.
I'm struggling with it...
I'm on gentamicin and vancamycin and they both struggle to kill it...
Tell your brother to stay away from dairy and red meat.
Those foods set it off like a bomb.
My current diet is mainly fish as this helps a lot. Fish and chips is ok.
I am part time at work because I keep getting colitis and urinary issues!!!!
They keep me up late at night.
Everywhere I read it says how this bug is a super bug and how they can't kill it or how you should go to hospital straight away after getting sepsis...
I have been 3 times and been told 3 times to go home.
Starting to want one of my organs to fail or this bug just kill me already.
Pretty over it... Seriously hating my life...
Worst part it... It so rare to have the bug that no-one has a clue what you go through.
|

replied August 5th, 2012
Klebsiella Oxytoca
Thank you for your post.
Yes, he is my dear brother and seeing him struggling to survive and having hard time is really heartbreaking and hard to see. I just hope he can now stand up on his own, even with help he can't stand up now... :'(

Yes, he is on gentamicin and another antibiotic. I have researching about it and found out that pure honey kills antibiotic-resistant bacteria, especially Klebsiella oxytoca. So we bought him several jars of honey...

How to cook the fish--- can I fry it, flavor it, or should I make a soup out of it? What do you think of mushrooms as well? Do you think it will damage his health even more or actually help him?

Do you use colostomy bag as well? He uses it and it is so hard...

I am so sorry to hear what you're going through... I cry almost every day, because there is nothing much I can do to help him or save him. His wife is caring for him, but sometimes it is not enough. As I have my job, it is hard to be there for him when he needs a help...

I just wish if there was some BIG research done on it, or if doctors and scientists worked hard on it and brought the treatment. I pray that one day soon everyone who is suffering from this bacteria would be able to fight the Klebsiella Oxytoca and recover and be healthy again. Thank you for your comment and I'll be more than happy if you write back Smile

Regards,
~Amandada
|

replied August 6th, 2012
As for food consumption, I can only describe what helps me.
Sardines are a good one, as gross as they may sound, they contain everything you need.
Red salmon is a good one too, just cook on pan or oven.
The number one helper is water... I know it sounds weird but it doesn't give much room for bacteria to grow,
Another, I tried this and it seemed to do good, I'm going to have it again - olive leaf extract.
Olive leaf extract is what good bacteria thrive in. "pick up at health food stores".
As less stress as possible.
Heat will make him feel better - heat packs etc. warm room.
"bacteria cause your temperature to drop".
I have 2 showers a day or I suffer.
Deficate when you need to, do not hold it in. "bugs enter the blood stream from feces".
yeh I tried good old honey lol, to tell the truth I'm not sure how much it helped..
I did increase my salts levels, salt on chips felt like it was helping, maybe it was maybe it wasnt.
I tried Manuka, it is a natural healing thing I guess.
Stay away from lactose as klebsiella is fuelled by it.
I also am thinking penicillin fuels it too....
I tried penicillin recently and today I feel like hell...
I'm going to a urologist tomorrow and then if no improvement, I'm going to a mental ward...
I can't handle this bug anymore, it's destroying my life...
Whatever you do, don't have raw garlic!!! Little bit of cooked isn't too bad, but raw and he won't sleep at all...
Anyway, email me if you need to talk to somebody who has it...
It's actually rare for me to have this bug... Without being in hospital..
There isn't many of us out there Sad.
|

replied August 6th, 2012
Seems you are going from the start...
Where I started, jars of honey,
I tried Manuka, didn't really notice too much... Better than peanut butter though...
"don't have peanut butter". Dont have Any dairy at all.
Try - olive leaf extract. "health food stores".
It helped me a little. It's what good bacteria thrive in.
Fish - sardines, red salmon - cooked pan or oven.
Get him heat packs, heat helps. "2 showers a day minimum, day and night."

Lots of water.
Lots of sleep "8 hours+"
Try keep your meals routine and basic
Eggs, little bit of bacon are ok.
Mushrooms - excellent
No cerial!!! No soy fake milks, no milks!!
Fruit, veg and fish - best diet.
Try avoid wheat, don't exclude it but don't eat too much of it.
I noticed the bug hated rice cakes, in moderation though.
Do not smoke!!! This bug loves smoking like no tomorrow.
Sadly I'm one of only a few who have this bug and are not in hospital.
|
Quick Reply