Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

kidney transplant life span ? (Page 1)

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
wondering if anyone can tell me- can someone who has had a kidney transplant (donation was from a close relative & leads a pretty healthy lifestyle) expect to have a normal lifespan..live til 70-80 yrs old? thank you for any responses
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper blinkie3
|

replied June 8th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
|

replied June 25th, 2008
Hello I had my first transplant in 1986 from a cadaver. It finally quit working, (not rejected) in 2001. I than received a living donor in 2001 and it has been working fine since. It is never a guarantee on how long a transplant will last, be there are plenty of things to help it. Take your meds every 12 hours, plenty of WATER, watch the Sun exposure without sunblock, go to your Dr visits and also if anytime you dont feel right, call your Nephrologists.
|

replied June 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
transplant86 wrote:
Hello I had my first transplant in 1986 from a cadaver. It finally quit working, (not rejected) in 2001. I than received a living donor in 2001 and it has been working fine since. It is never a guarantee on how long a transplant will last, be there are plenty of things to help it. Take your meds every 12 hours, plenty of WATER, watch the Sun exposure without sunblock, go to your Dr visits and also if anytime you dont feel right, call your Nephrologists.

Glad to hear you are doing well. Wonderful advice. yes applause
|

replied February 21st, 2010
Hi.I had my transplant in 1981.My brother gave it to me. I have never had a rejection thank God.I was 15 at the time and had been on dialysis for seven months.I will always be very grateful to him for giving me my life back.I now have a beautiful 21 year old daughter of who I am very proud .Were it not for my brothers selfless act she would not be here and I would have had a very different life.My brother has never had any problems and has two beautifu children of his own.Thanks bro.
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
glad to hear that u are doing so well.. i m 21 yrs of age and i also hd a transplant 5 mnths back and i m doin good nw.. could u please guide me whch precautions u took after post transplant till nw..
|

replied March 10th, 2012
Hi my sister gave me her kidney 15 years ago and i am very fit and very energetic thanks to my sis and i have noticed the change in my body i look like a body sculpter because i exercise so much do you no if its caused by the cyclosporine and do you no how long does the transplant last
|

replied March 10th, 2012
Hi my sister gave me her kidney 15 years ago and i am very fit and very energetic thanks to my sis and i have noticed the change in my body i look like a body sculpter because i exercise so much do you no if its caused by the cyclosporine and do you no how long does the transplant last
|

replied March 10th, 2012
|

replied January 12th, 2013
It is really great that you have completed more than three decades after renal transplant. My wife has undergone transplant in 2001 where I was the donar. She is doing fine now and I am really interested to know from you what are the precautions to be taken to prolong the life of the graft to the maximum extent possible.
|

replied March 19th, 2010
That is amazing that you have had your kidney for almost 30 years! I just got a kidney from my sister in Feb. and I have been told 12-15 years. If you don't mind me asking was your brother a 6 out of 6 match? And, do you have any tips? I would love to know if you've had any struggles.
|

replied September 13th, 2011
information on CKD
I have been on dialysis for about 9 months now. I am a 37 year old female, married with three kids. Oldest just started college. I have done a great deal os research on CKD and other aspects of renal failure (coming from the public heath field). I had no severe symptoms when I ended up in the hospital in December 2010, sick as a dog and was hospitalized for 30 days. A family member mentioned they would test for me when I was in the hospital, but never mentioned it after. Patients at my dialysis center say I should have my kids tested, )ages, 14, 15 and 19) but I don't think I can do that to them. I am really scared and have been apprehensive about going through the testing process. After the hospitalization in December 2010 and the poking, and numerous testing that they did, could not really identify a concrete reason for my kidney failure other than high blood pressure etc. Any thoughts from any of you? Clueless in NY
|

replied September 21st, 2011
kidney transplany
NY Jackie--Hey girl--Snap out of it!! I'm sure the procedure was explained to you---simple---you fall asleep & wake up new-with no pain! your out of the hosp in 6 days & so is your Son!! He will be the Hero & it your new life begins. My 27yr old nephew gave me his kidney 5/09/97. I was 50. Kidneys failed from what they call Nephrotic Syndrome. Docs do not know what or where it comes from. Who cares--Joan Kelly is in charge at NY hosp still!! (it was columbia press at the time)
|

replied October 26th, 2011
hi 596mainst, have u been doing well since then u received kidney?
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
I love this site. I had my transplant in 1997. I am going on 13 years this october. Have not had any rejection symptoms, ever. In the beginning, my biggest side effect was dehydration. But, that has stopped now. I think you just have to learn how to take care of yourself. What a wonderful thing this is. My Aunt gave me a kidney. I love her dearly. She is healthy today also. I plan on this kidney lasting me forever Smile I cannot tell you how great it makes me feel to hear of your transplant being successful 30 years later. That is fabulous. I was 19 when I had mine. I am 32 now, and have a 9 year old son. What a blessing!! He is healthy as an ox.......
|

replied November 11th, 2013
Hi All - checking in 3 years later. I am now 35, healthy and just celebrated my 16th year kidney anniversary. It is so inspiring to read the stories on this website. What a wonderful gift we have all received. Which only opened the door to even more precious life gifts like family, friends, and priceless memories. Thank you all so much for sharing your stories, and successes.
|

replied September 13th, 2010
Nods,

Congratulations on your kidney and living your life to the fullest. I think it's wonderful you are sharing your story.

My mother's 1st transplanted kidney is failing after 20 years. I don't want her to have to have dialysis, and they won't consider my dad as a donor because he has hypertension. If there are no other options, I would like to submit my request to be a donor. But I can't help feeling guilty because I feel scared.

So, thank you all for sharing.

with love,
Cynthia W.
|

replied September 30th, 2010
I just got my first kidney transplant at 27 years old last year. My dad was the one who donated it to me. He had a lot of apprehension about donating to me. A lot of it was a lack of education on it. After talking to then doctors and getting his questions answered he felt a lot better about it. It is a scary thing and I don't think anyone needing a kidney would fault you for worrying about the impact on your health. I can tell you that a person can live with 20 percent of one kidney just fine.
If you donate you also go on a list so if your remaining kidney fails you go to the top of the list for a transplant. Also they monitor you very closely so they would have lots of warning before it got that bad, if it even did. My dad is 58 and they said with his remaining kidney it would last till he was about 150 years old since it was healthy. The other thing is the surgery is very safe. They only make a small incision on your stomach and use scopes to get at it. My dad was walking around with me the next day and back to doing stuff on their farm within 6 weeks. It is very safe.
In the end it is a personal decision but from the perspective of someone that needed a transplant, I am eternally grateful to my dad for making that sacrifice for me. Feel free to write me if you or anyone else have questions. I would be happy to share my experiences with anyone that would like to talk to someone who has been through it. God bless
|

replied October 1st, 2010
To the last reply ...
to the last person who replied to me.. ~~ i saw your post a few days ago but didn't save your email. i'm guessing they took your post down cuz you disclosed email? cuz i don't see you on here....

Thank you for sharing with me your experience with your transplant and your father being the donor. Knowing these things does ease my fear. i do ask doctors questions, but sometimes i feel like hearing it from real people who have gone through it brings a completely different light to the matter.

I was hoping to save your email but it's gone! should have done it that day!

Cynthia w.
|

replied December 28th, 2010
Urine infection post kidney transplant
Hi there,

My husband had a kidney transplant two weeks back. The first two weeks were fine with progressive lower levels of cretanine (1.5) and good urine output.

3rd week he developed high fever due to urinary tract infection leading to higher cretatine level (now 2.4).Can this be a sign of subtle rejection or just an effect of urine infection?
Can anyone share their experiences with me?

Thanks
A
|

replied June 13th, 2012
Dear Sister, Obey doctors advice and medication. Don't worry. I am a kidney transplant patient. I underwent transplant surgery 10 years back living with Sr. Cr. 3.
|

replied January 25th, 2011
I had a kidney transplant in 1975 , february,from a unrelated 51year old donor.It's still working great.I've lived with a 2.2 creatinine all these years.I was 25 years old at the time of the transplant and now I'm 60.Things have improved in 35 years, so today no telling how long our kidneys will last.Just fill blessed we live in this time.By the way my kidney is 87 years old now.
|

replied June 7th, 2011
Good luck
Hi I so happy about you and it is really nice to know a transplanted kidny is lasting such a long time. Im a kidney transplanted person as well. Would love to know what are the main things you do in your life to keep your health well.
|

replied August 19th, 2011
Doug

I have a similar situation. My kidney is 80 years old in 2011, which I got from my mum in 1999. I am 58 years old. My mum just recently passed away and I am beginning to wonder how many more years I can get old out an 80 year old kidney
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
tips on post transplant care
hi douglas its so great to hear abt ur health and it inspires me too.. i also hd a kidney transplant 5 mnths back and i m doin well nw.. could u jst let me knw what care did u take frm the starting of the post transplant and till nw..
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi Douglas1950....What a wonderful story...Isn't it wonderful that we have come so far in life that we trust the unknown, yet venture forward to accept this new life?....Kudos to all the good people that give of themselves and their loved ones so that we may live...Thanks again....

Caroline
|

replied January 26th, 2011
hi im 30 years old and i was prego when i got put on dyalsis it was scary thing for me and im still on dyalsis and i really dnt know to much but all your stories make me feel much better so thats why im going through the process of getting a kidney transplant:
|

replied March 27th, 2011
im 17 and just got put on dyalsis a week ago im waiting on a transplant all your stories are so inspiring and helpful thank you
|

replied April 2nd, 2011
32 years
My wife had a kidney transplant in 1979, she was 22. She was on dialysis for about two and half years. It was her sister that donated the kidney and both are doing wonderful. We (my wife) had two daughters, now 25 & 26 years old. She eats well, runs about 30 miles a week and lives a perfectly normal life. God is good!
|

replied March 5th, 2012
hi..
hi "wmass" im cathy 25 yrs. old, im dialysis patient for 2 years now and still on process of crossmatching/tissuetyping stages of transplantation. im looking forward to my transplant, hopefully soon. i actually do research in safety pregnancy for transplanted kidney patients 'coz me and my hubby plans to have kids after several years from my operation. i just want to know did your wife had your 2 beautiful daughters after the transplant? or you had them before? is it still safe for me/ for my kidney to get pregnant? how is she(you wife) during pregnancy and after the deliveration? and the kids how are they? are they healthy, i mean without any side effects from the medicines that your wife taken for her maintainance..i'm sorry i had lots of questions, im just afraid for myself, my kidney and for the baby..thanks! anyway i'm inspired by your wife..good day!
|

replied April 5th, 2011
Hi everyone, I have read each one of your stories, and I must say that I am feeling so inspired. I went on dialysis almost 2 years ago after my kidneys unexpectedly stopped working. I had absolutely no warning signs and stayed in denial for awhile. I feel blessed that I have 3 people (2 family members) who are being tested for a possible match. I am hopeful that I can get the transplant before the end of this year. Thanks to you all for your posts. I am so glad that I found this forum and see that people are living healthy lives many years after being transplanted. You just don't know how much you have blessed me. Thanks again.
|

replied May 23rd, 2011
It's not ALL good news! Choose your treatment team with care!
I had a kidney transplant in Aug 2009. I had been on dialysis (PD) for almost a year. I was 45 yrs old at the time of my transplant. Other than my obvious renal problems, I was very healthy prior to transplant. I received my husband's kidney. It has been a HORRIBLE experience. I have been very sick. It has not been two years since my transplant and I am losing my kidney due to over-medication with advagraf and prograf. I had VERY POOR care by physicians post-transplant. The whole experience has left me feeling very sad and uncared for. I did my best to take care of myself. and I followed my doctors' directives. Physicians persistently let me down and ignored my repeated attempts to get help. The care I received was so shameful I still cry when I remember the needless pain and the suffering. My treatment was so poor I would felt it was "experimental". Thankfully, my husband is doing well. I am currently exploring my options but I shall NEVER seek care in the Toronto hospitals who neglected their responsibilities to me and my donor.
|

replied June 15th, 2011
better care for transplants
Unfortunately renalfailure that is modern political medicine in many lands. St. Mikes in T.O. is supposed to be better - but it may depend upon the team. I have no personal knowledge of St. Mikes.

Try to see if you could get help in the U.S.
New Jersey has many ( 10 )hospitals with Bloodless Medicine Centers - those doctors and staff have changed their mindset unlike their contemporaries at same hospital. You are a person in these centers.

Englewood Hospital is a world leader and is 95% bloodless - hospital wide for everybody including transplants- patients do Much Better with modern Patient Blood Management and it is less expensive, hospital stays shorter, less complications- they treat their patients with dignity.
Hope this helps.
|

replied August 11th, 2011
St Joesph's Hospital in Hamilton ON is an excellent hospital for a kidney transplant. The Transplant teams are very percise. My husband had a transplant in 2005 and is still doing well and the Dr's keep in close contact regularly. They are a blessing to us.
|

replied September 15th, 2011
Could you give me a hint what hospital you are talking about. I am just going on the transplant list after trying to get on for seven years. I did all the tests each year and never made it on so I stopped the process. Just now at the encouragement of my nephrologist I have tried again and seems like I might be on by end of Oct. 11. I am talking about a Toronto Hospital.
I am so sorry you have gone through that. I was unhappy with my first transplant Dr. so I requested another one
and got him.
|

replied June 20th, 2011
kidney transplant
I had mine in 1982-take care of it like a baby-still going good- if you need more info or talk about kidney transplant now and then-feel free to respond.
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
Life Span of a Kidney Transplant Survivor
Hello to all of you inspiring people! I am currently dating a kidney transplant survivor and I sincerely (we sincerely) beleive that we're soul mates. We've been dating for 7 months now and plan to marry in 2012. The only thing that I think about now, is his life span. But the positive things about his health post operation, is that he had a 98% match from his donor and has never touched alcohol to this day. We plan to both live long lives and I agree with what some of you said above, that it's how you look after your health post kidney transplant that determines how long you live and then also fate too will determine this! In the beginning of our relationship, I was apprehensive of getting involved but now I feel that he's right for me, i will still give this relationship time. Any advice from you wise souls to me?
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2011
See the person not his problems
hi, read your note and I can very well understand your apprehensions. My wife got Renal transplant operation back in 2003. We met in 2007, got along for 2 years and married in 2009. She and me are living a completely normal life and planning to have a baby. Like you said it all depends on how the patient is caring for herself post operation is what is the deciding factor. She never misses her dose, gets her tests done regularly and consumes home made food. So far so good. And I pray to God it stays this way. So go ahead and marry your soul mate. tc
|

replied January 27th, 2012
Just today, January 27,2012, i found out that my boyfriend badly needs a kidney transplant asap. i cried and I can't back to work. i got so furious. but after reading your stories, i was uplifted. Right now, i'm doing a research and will send it to him as soon as i collated all positive outlook. Your stories made me feel better. Hope his brother's kidney will match his. I so love him and I hope everything will be OK
|

replied January 27th, 2012
Just today, January 27,2012, i found out that my boyfriend badly needs a kidney transplant asap. i cried and I can't back to work. i got so furious. but after reading your stories, i was uplifted. Right now, i'm doing a research and will send it to him as soon as i collated all positive outlook. Your stories made me feel better. Hope his brother's kidney will match his. I so love him and I hope everything will be OK
|