Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

kidney testing bun/creatinine ratio is high?

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
i recently had some blood work done and everything looks really good. however after looking a the lab results myself i noticed my bun/creatinine ratio is high, it is 27 and should be in the range of 9-23. my bun number is 18 (normal is 6-24) and my creatinine is 0.66 (normal is 0.57-1.00). this is the one test i was wanting to see because i have had 3 or 4 kidney stones over the past 5 year...all assumed passed...the last one i believe i had i did not see the doctor for...just on my mind and wanted my kidney function checked. my questions:
1. is the bun/creatinine ratio of 27 something that i should worry about
2. is there anything else i should do to check that my kidneys are working ok.
thank you for your help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

From the history provided, your kidney functions are absolutely normal. The slight increase in the BUN / creatinine ratio is not something to be worried about.

There is no need for any further investigations at this moment.

Your kidneys functions are normal.

I hope this helps

|

replied December 18th, 2013
My wifeI just received her lab test and it shows:
BUN/Creatinine: Ratio 27 normal 9 - 23
LDL cholesterol calc: 108 normal 0 - 99
Vitamin B12: 1,464 normal 211 - 946
Hemoglobin Alc: 5.8 normal 4.8 - 5.6
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy: 24.6 normal 30 - 100
Is there something that she has to worry about?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.