Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Kidney Stones - pain in groin

Must Read
More than a million people get kidney stones in the US annually. But what is a kidney stone? How many types of kidney stones are diagnosed?...
Can kidney stones be avoided? Learn the common causes and factors that can put you at risk of developing a kidney stone here....
How do you know if flank pain is caused by kidney stones? Learn to identify the common signs and symptoms of kidney stones in this section....
Hello,

I had recently gone to the doctor (1 week ago) I had assumed I had a kidney infection but the culture came back negative...I had been sick so the doctor stated that I may have had a slight kidney infection and the use of Levaquin would help for that (which was prescribed for some ear pain as I was told) WELL...a couple days later I woke up in horrible pain in the lower left side of my back which had crampage in the front down to the groin area...and I always felt like I had to urinate and nothing would come out. I immediately took the samples of levaquin he had given to me and would wake up perfectly fine and not in pain anymore...only the urgency to urinate was always there. This pain came in the middle of the night twice and last night for a third time...it was so bad that I had to go to the emergency room. They ran a Cat Scan on me and it showed no signs of a kidney stone so they assumed I may have passed it in the time of morning to the times I used the restroom at the hospital. The CT showed some calfication near the kidney section...but NO stone what so ever. They had put me on an I.V. and gave me toradol and the pain went away completely (even the urge to urinate). I was released and told they could not find anything but to diagnose me as "abdominal pain." I recently have gotten the symptons back and can feel the pain in my lower back although the worst part is the sharp stabbing pain in the groin area...and the constant urge to want to use the restroom. PLEASE HELP...could there be something they were missing...there has to be something wrong because WHY would I be having this pain every couple days and the urge to urinate has NOT gone away. I am now scared it is going to come back and will be told the same conditions again. Any suggestions!?! I have come home since and all I want to do is sit in the bathroom in hopes it will all go away.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper KLR125
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2008
Supporter
The following symptoms may be signs of kidney stones that need a doctor's help:

* Extreme pain in your back or side that will not go away
* Blood in your urine
* Fever and chills
* Vomiting
* Urine that smells bad or looks cloudy
* A burning feeling when you urinate

But check this abdominal pain flow chart in order to view other possible diagnoses. But you might want to return to the doctor's office ASAP!
|

replied September 15th, 2009
Urgency to pee, back and groin pain, heavy discomfort
Hi...I know you posted this a long time ago but 4 wks ago I had to go to a gp he told me i had blood in my urine and he gave me a set of antibiotics, I had pain in my back and also discomfort while peeing, I finished my course of antibiotics, then probably a week later I was feeling a heavy feeling down near my groin area, went to doctor again and he checked my urine with litmus paper and found nothing, 2 days later I was finding it hard to pee again went back to doctor and got another course of antibiotics, felt like it wasn't working, so went back to doctor again got a different type of antibiotics, at the end of that I still felt I had the heavy feeling down near my groin, and pain in my back and had urgency to pee, awaiting the results of another urine sample...but still getting pain in my groin, back and an uneasy discomfort like I need to pee. I don't know whats up, I was talking to my mother and she reminded me I got these symptoms when I was younger, I'm sick of it especially as my doctor doesn't know whats wrong please help
|

replied September 7th, 2010
kidney stone pains
These are the same symtons i am having right now. The pain in my grion area is undiscribable it is so severe and intense i am about to mentally flip out. How long does this pain last before passing a stone?
|

replied January 17th, 2011
hi i have problems with kidney stones as i have an over active parathyroid gland which results in me having calcium in my blood that builds up and makes stones,i have been having problems now this time for 8 weeks i have done two urine samples both had blood and high white cells so was prescribed antibiotics on both occasions. i have just finished 2nd lot and am getting sharp pain in my right groin every few days and my stomach feels bloated and pain in side and back. i have been referred to the urologist by my gp just waiting for an appointment to come through.it gets me down as my doctor recently said i am always going to make kidney stones and have recurring kidney infections. but i read recently on the net that if i have my parathyroid gland removed all my problems will go away , why havent i been told this
|

replied December 15th, 2011
Re: Kidney Stones - pain in groin
Kidney damage, if stones block the flow of urine out of both kidneys
(or out of one kidney, for people who have a single kidney). For most
people with healthy kidneys, kidney stones do not cause serious damage until
they completely block the urinary tract for 2 weeks or longer.

regards,
|

replied March 20th, 2012
Same Symptons
Hi KLR125 and Everyone,

I'm just wondering, did and of your doctor's figure out what you have?? I'm experiencing the same thing (lower back pain and pain in the groin) and have been holding off a CT scan from previously read misdiagnosis. Please let me know if you have figured out anything about the condition!

Thanks so much
|

replied April 24th, 2013
I have had bladder/groin/urethra pain on and off for the past year. All tests always normal (urine culture, blood, MRI, ultrasound, colonoscopy and cystoscopy). Finally one of the doctors mentioned PELVIC FLOOR DYSFUNCTION. Read on the net about it. This is what I believe is causing my problems!
|