Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Kidney insufficiency

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
Hello.

I hope someone can help me because I am worried about my mom. She was diagnosed in Peru (while on vacation) with renal insufficiency. She started to have pain on her left kidney months ago after a sudden bad case of cystitis (she had a few UTI's before but this was real bad). She had chills, blood in urine, and it was very painful. Not sure what she took for it but after a few days it was gone, but it did leave her with what she described as an "inflamed kidney" and felt "sore, like being kicked there." That kidney pain slowly went away, but repatedly came back with more frequency. She got a urine culture done less than a week ago in Peru and it came out positive for E. coli (100,000 colonies per/mL). A profile was done on the pathogen and it showed resistance to drugs like cipro, nitrofuratin, amoxicillin, and others. It did show plenty of sensitivities to drugs like the cephalosporins which is what she started to take yesterday. When a blood test was done, the creatinine was 0.1 above the high normal limit. Urea and other stuff were within limits. Ultrasound concluded renal insufficiency. Not sure if it was acute or chronic. Does this sound really bad? Can she get her bad kidney to gradual regain function or does it only get worse? WIll she eventually need a transplant? Some insight on this would be great. Thank you so much!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2017
The condition is more likely urinary infection but your history does not suggest that it is end stage renal disease, as of yet.

Proper management of all underlying factors can help slow the progression of the renal disease.

Consult with your doctor and seek a proper treatment, and the condition should improve in due time.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.