Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Kidney infection recovery time ?

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
diagnosed with a kidney infection a week ago. had to return to my doctor 3 days later and got different antibiotics. nearly finshed the course have improved but still feel the urge to wee all the time. because i am an insulin diabetic my doc said it will take longer to recover. am i expecting to be better too quick. 44 yrs old female

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
Kidney Conditions Answer A11923
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the urinary tract infection and its treatment taking long in the backdrop of diabetes mellitus.
Patients with diabetes mellitus (DM) have a higher prevalence of asymptomatic bacteriuria (ASB) and incidence of urinary tract infections (UTIs) compared with patients without DM. Women with both ASB and DM had lower urinary cytokine and leukocyte concentrations than women with ASB without DM. It has been found that E. Coli(the most common cause of UTI) expressing type 1 fimbriae adhere better to uroepithelial cells of women with DM compared with those isolated from women without DM. There are no randomised trials that answer the question as to the optimal duration of treatment for UTIs in diabetic patients. It has been recommended to consider these patients as having a complicated UTI and therefore to treat them for a period of 7-14 days. That is why your doctor has told you to wait for some time. If the problem still persists, you may go for repeat urine culture and sensitivity and appropriate change of antibiotics but I hope that might not be required.
You must continue follow up with your doctor and adhere to the treatment as advised.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.