Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

kidney functions borderline high

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
I was just at the doctor for a regular check up. I had some blood work done and the doctor said that my kidney functions were borderline high. he said that it was at 106 what ever that means I don't know but he recemended I see a kidney doctor for a second opinion. Is this somting that I should be concerned about?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on ehealth forum.

Based on the history, provided (though it is inadequate) it seems that your medical provider mentioned that some of your renal function tests have been high.

The kidney is a remarkable organ, that has a large capacity and can work tirelessly clearing the blood of toxic metabolites, regulating the electrolyte balance, and chemically balanced. Small or mild declines in kidney function—as much as 30 to 40 percent—would rarely be noticeable as the rest of the kidney can take over and prevent any abnormality. But when the loss of function reaches a critical point, blood levels of certain metabolites increase indicating the decline in the renal function. At this point steps need to be taken to control the conditions affecting the kidney to prevent further deterioration.

For diagnosis of the underlying condition, simple tests to screen for kidney disease: a blood pressure measurement, Urinalysis for a spot check for protein or albumin in the urine, and blood tests to check the kidney functions (S Creatinine, BUN & GFR estimation) need to be done. In addition renal imaging tests like ultrasound needs to be done. Other conditions like diabetes, hypertension etc, need to be diagnosed and if present, controlled with medications and diet,

You might consider the advice of your physician and consult a nephrologist for additional need for any evaluation and medical interventions.

I Hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: kidney
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.