Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Kidney failure without Protein ?

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
is it possible to have kidney failure without the presence of protein or blood in the urine, normal/low blood pressure (slightly low actually) and no effect on urine production? Nephrologist previously told me I had nothing in my urine suggesting kidney problems with dipstick but ordered a 24 hr. creatinine clearance no results as of yet.. But my output was 1800MM..

Test was ordered because Creatinine was 1.5 (1.3 normal), BUN was 25 (limit, 25) ..

When my blood was taken last month, three of my veins collapsed while trying to extract blood. Doctor seems to think I was dehydrated (had diarrhea the entire week leading up to the test).. I always try to eat a diet high in protein. and usually work out except for the past couple months as much because of all that has been going on.

No other levels were high except uric acid @ 7.6 (7.0 is normal)

All hematology was normal.. EGFR estimated at 58.5 (suggesting stage 3 kidney disease)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dmack0059
|

replied August 13th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I'm not sure. Test results seem ok. Have you got your cr cl back yet? Hope everything is well. Good luck.
|

replied August 13th, 2008
No i haven't gotten anything back yet... I'm still waiting.. It's been a week. I even called my Urologist today because tomorrow I'm supposed to visit with my nephrologist again to go over results... Results that haven't come in yet!!

I'm trying to get this thing moving.. I have to go back to school on the 22nd, and I go to school 6 hours from home..

I've been on this case since february. Still, no diagnosis except anxiety.. Which isn't the case.

thanks for the well wishes, good news or bad, I'll keep you updated..
|

replied August 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Wow 6 months is a long time. doctors are over run with patients and insurance companies telling them what they can and can not do BUT this is wrong in my opinion, I have been in this situation with insurance companies.

Keep pushing for answer, even if you feel you are being a pest. This is your health.
hang in there and keep us posted.
|

nephrologist called
.... she told me my kidney's are "stable" and I only have to come in for results if I want to (since right now I have no insurance it will be an expensive visit, $75, the first one was 175)

Is stable a good thing?? Or is stable in line with my past results?? She said "come in if you want to, it's up to you"..

Needless to say, I'm going in regardless. Because I want to see with my own eyes, what stable is.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Let us know how your appointment goes.
Better to be safe....you're doing the right thing...Smile
|

replied August 19th, 2008
ok
Got my test results..

My creatinine levels went down from 1.5 to 1.2.. IDK what my BUN was, didn't ask. I'm sure if it was high still, she would've said something to me..

She told me my 24 hr. Urine test showed no damage or traces of protein or blood in my urine. She also said my GFR was 133.2 now.. Rather then the 58.8 eGFR that was first produced with my first blood test.. My BP yesterday was 120/80. I've never gotten it taken and it be "perfect" before. She told me everything looks good.. So I'm excited about that.. Glad I finally got some kind of closure to this particular situation. Thanks for your support on the subject.. You've been more then helpful.

Still worried about my bounding pulse though..
|

replied February 19th, 2010
Re: Kidney failure without Protein ?
From your ideal that "it is possible to have kidney failure without the presence of protein or blood in the urine, normal/low blood pressure (slightly low actually) and no effect on urine production? Nephrologist previously told me I had nothing in my urine suggesting kidney problems with dipstick but ordered a 24 hr". I think that you should active regularly. You can go out side or in gym and do a little exercise. Practicing this exercise, this will help you to promote shifting and hence allows the stones flush rapidly. In addition, you will feel better about you your selves. You can actually give your body healthier. In fact, according some studies, doing exercises everyday can increase the opportunities of the kidney stone passing by fifty percent.Good luck to you. Share with me at any time.
|

replied October 8th, 2011
kidney failure, without infection, UTI's, renal
So I never saw an answer to this person's question about whether it is possible to have renal failure without the presence of an infection. The reason I am wondering is because I have around 42% kidney damage permanently as of 10 years ago, and I have a lot of UTI's. But I have been having pain urinating and I'm not producing a lot of urine, actually, hardly any at all. I went to the doctor and got that dipstick test done and there's no infection according to that. I didn't press the subject further, but I'm always freaked out about my kidneys failing, although they've only failed twice, both times I was pregnant. So does any doctors or medical personnel know if it is possible for me to have kidney failure without the dipstick indicating something? If not, why am I not producing urine like I usually do? I know about not drinking liquids and that effect, that's pretty obvious, but anything else?
|