Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Kidney disease TIPS, treatments and resources

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
Share important information here ... this is your resource thread*!

What has helped you cope with kidney problems?
Which resources do you think members should consider?
Has anything helped YOU?

* Treatments
* Books
* Speakers
* DVDs or Videos
* Procedures
* Diagnostic tests ... anything you can think of...

We're here to help one another.
Share your enthusiasm and support others.
We're glad you're here. Smile

* Use the space wisely, advertising posts are subject to removal
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper RebeccaShriver

replied April 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi everyone

Here are a couple of good sites:

This one will help you determine your GFR
(you will need your lab reports to put the information in to calculate your GFR)

www.kidney.org/professionals/kdoqi/gfr_cal culator.cfm

This site offers tutorials on kidney conditions

www.kidneyschool.org/
|

replied May 14th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
For those in Canada there is also

www.kidney.ca/

I think it is important to find a Doctor that you are comfortable with. Also, know your creatinine levels and your GFR.
|
Users who thank aflsh for this post: ^Serenity^ 

replied August 30th, 2008
lipotripsy
could you explain this procedure and its cost
|

replied September 30th, 2009
Hi my name is Rebecca and I have kidney failure. The best thing to do if you have or may have kidney failure is to go see a doctor. But you may also talk to someone with kidney failure. Depending on your doctor depends on the cost. Your creatinine levels will sometimes go up, but you can be put on a list for a kidney. Sometimes it may seem like you don't want to deal with it. But kidney failure is important. And if you need to talk more about it you can write me I would be happy to help people. Like i said i have kidney failure. I have a kidney transplant.
|

replied September 11th, 2014
Im sorry to hear that you have kidney failure I was just wondering about something, I have a history of kidney stones and calcium build up I've had 5 stones in the past year including a shockwave operation cause my stones just dont pass on their own and I have 1 now & the build up which I just found out about and the hospital told me to get a kidney doctor cause the build up can cause failure to my kidneys & since both are affected I wasn't hesitating I got the soonest appointment and he said theres nothing he could do about it,and basically I'll have this for the rest of my life,do you think I should get a 2nd opinion,cause a lot of people tell me to?
|

replied October 3rd, 2009
Initial treatment

One of the most important parts of treatment for chronic kidney disease is to control the disease that is causing it. If you have diabetes or high blood pressure, you and your doctor will develop a plan to aggressively treat and manage your condition to help slow additional damage to your kidneys.

Your doctor will also check you for other conditions or diseases that may cause kidney damage, including a blockage (obstruction) in the urinary tract or long-term use of medicines that can damage the kidneys, such as some antibiotics or pain relievers (such as NSAIDs).

You can take steps at home to help control your kidney disease:

* Follow an eating plan that is good for your kidneys. A dietitian can help you make an eating plan with the right amounts of sodium, fluids, and protein. For more information, see:

Chronic kidney disease: Changing your diet.

* Make exercise a routine part of your life. Try to do at least 2½ hours a week of moderate exercise.4 One way to do this is to be active 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week. It's fine to be active in blocks of 10 minutes or more throughout your day and week. Work with your doctor or other health professional to design an exercise program that is right for you. Exercise may help you control diabetes and high blood pressure, which can lead to kidney disease.
* Avoid taking medicines that can damage your kidneys, like ibuprofen (such as Advil), naproxen sodium (Aleve), and celecoxib (Celebrex). Be sure your doctor knows about all prescription medicines, over-the-counter medicines, and herbs that you are taking.
* Avoid dehydration. Get treatment right away for illnesses, such as diarrhea, vomiting, or fever, that can cause you to lose fluids. Be especially careful when you exercise or during hot weather.
|

replied December 5th, 2010
i am new to this forum, but not dialysis, as i am in my 20th year. I had a ten year run with hemo, but due to complications with numerous Grafts and repairs, i had to transition to PD. I had a transplant back in 1993, but it failed in the fourth month, due to complications with the anti-rejection meds. And i have remained on dialysis ever since. There is way more to share, but if you are interested i did self-publish two books to share my experience - My Renal Life and My Twenty Year Journey with PKD in the Dialysis World - lst book published Feb 2009, and my second book published - Oct 2010. I hope to chat with other members on this forum real soon.
Glo
|

replied August 23rd, 2012
I'm new to this forum too and have been dealing with kidney disease for 22 years. I was on hemo for two years then received a cadaver transplant that lasted 20 years. I'm on PD now and on a short list for pediatric cadaver transplant that I already got called in to receive last month but since my antibodies were too high I didn't receive it.
I'd be interested in writing a book and would like to know where to start, how to get published and would like to chat too. Why haven't' you received a kidney since 1993? or did you since this post is now two years old? =)
|

replied December 5th, 2010
also you can check out my local talk show interview that i did back on October 15 - just go online - PKD Hope. i would love some feedback from the show, as it will help me to better strategize for future interviews.
thank you.
Glo
|

replied January 12th, 2011
I've found a list of kidney infection symptoms at http://thekidneyinfectionsymptoms.com/

I think everybody with back pain should see doctor imidiatly.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied November 21st, 2011
I landed with this site and i found their articles helpful but drinking a lot of buko juice (young coconut juice) everyday really helps my kidney problem significantly. I have a doctor friend who always check on my condition.
|

replied April 4th, 2012
How does. Buko juice help?

I'm in the process of finding out what is causing what. Is there a parathyroid tumor affe ting my kidney.....or is the kidney failing and upsetting the parathyroid? I never heard of a parathyroid til two months ago. I have every symptom. Unfortunately, when I went to the Endocrinolgist....she spent 5 min with me and said I have kidney failure. Then the next day, she called and said everything looked fine. But couldn't explain the horrible bone pain, neck tenderness, fatigue, nuasea, etc.

but .....What about the parathyroid, you might ask.......good question. So I'm going around insurance and referrals. Paying for a doctor and he's ordering my tests at a place on my insurance.

But my creatinine has been 1.1-1.25
My BUN 10-11-13-16
GFR 52-53-55-56

I am concerned. I have slowed down tremendously the past 2yrs and do not like the fact that I now have to prepare for visits to ER and Urgent Care centers. I only have one kidney. Wondering now if a parathyroid tumor was the cause of it going bad. It was a birth defect but doctors never did answer why it kept swelling.

Anyway....I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
|

replied May 16th, 2012
check your calcium levels. when its low PTH is released and it extract calcium from bones thereby causing pain in body
|

replied November 15th, 2013
I am a male 28 yrs and i was diagnosed of pyelonephritis in the month of March this year after experiencing bloody urine and severe pain at the lower right side of my back. i did series of tests including urinalysis and IVU and got to know my left kidney was infected too but there was no bladder infection. It was also discovered that i was having low blood pressure. i was admitted for 72 hours and was placed on series of antibiotics (intravenous) during the course of the admission and also amoxicilin tablets (Auglocef Amoxycilin + clavulanate potassium). After i was admitted in the hospital, my doctor only placed me on oral medication for two weeks and after that, he asked me stop all medications but i should keep drinking a lot of water.

But i noticed i started relapsing after a month or two. It's been 7 months now and i still notice sudden jolts or vibrations in my bowels, kidneys and some other parts of my body every time (i don't understand what causes the sudden jolts). Sometimes, i feel little burning sensation when i urinate. My urine is foamy and my urine flow is irregular (i.e my urine flow scatters each time i urinate). Also, i notice i go to bed at night very tired and i wake up in the morning very tired too. I feel drowsy after eating breakfasts especially.

I feel very concerned so my health doesn't get worse. Also, i don't understand the sudden jolts or vibrations i experience in my bowels all the time, feeling very tired after little work, feeling drowsy after eating breakfast, sleeping at night and waking up in the morning tired. Please i need answers.

Thanks.
|

replied June 24th, 2014
kidney is also very important part of the body if it fails or deals with the some problem then it would be very hazardous to one who is suffering from any kind of problem in kidney so better to go for the prescription of doctor
|

replied February 25th, 2015
Kidney health
Yes..i think this website gives all the relevant and important information required about Kidneys.
|