Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Kidney Condition or Overactive Bladder?

Must Read
Urinary continence is loss of bladder control. What happens during this condition? And what types of bladder incontinence do doctors diagnose?...
Learn more about the many medical conditions that can cause loss of bladder control. Also, are you at risk of incontinence and losing bladder control?...
Learn the different between symptoms of incontinence vs. an overactive bladder. And know when to seek help for both medical conditions....
User Profile
I was diagnosed with Overactive Bladder a couple of years ago, but I'm now completely lost.
I don't even know how to start explaining what my problem is.

Basically I go to the loo a LOT.
MOST OF THE TIME I just feel the urge to go and very little comes out. I have this urge all the time, although I can usually ignore it, despite it being very annoying.

However I drink a SMALL glass of drink and within 10 or 15 mins I'm absolutely bursting for the loo, even though I've hardly drunken anything, and I swear I pee out way more than I take in. This will go on for about the next 3/4 hour or so, with me going to the loo every 10 to 15 mins, and then will calm down and revert back to just being the feeling that I need to go. This will gradually get better (provided I don't drink any more), although it won't completely go away.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the bladder was just a "storage bag" for the urine produced, therefore Overactive Bladder shouldnt affect the VOLUME of urine I produce, only give me the feeling that I need to go when I don't (which I also have)?

To say this is embarassing and very frustrating is an understatement, it's becoming impossible for me to enjoy simple days out because I can normally ignore the urge-feeling but I know that if I drink anything I'll have problems. As a result I drink nowhere near the recommended amount because I simply cannot cope with the effects if I do.

I believe my doctor when she says that I have overactive bladder, but is it also possible from what I've told you that I also have an underlying kidney problem? I just don't feel that Overactive Bladder alone can explain all my symptoms. I'm reaching my wits end over this and it gets me majorly down because it disrupts my life so much. I've posted this also on the bladder forum, because the two possibly linked?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sho3ran
|

User Profile
replied December 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
A person's ability to hold urine depends on normal function of the lower urinary tract (including the bladder), kidneys, and nervous system.
Very rarely, urinary frequency is caused by kidney disease, when the kidneys have lost their ability to concentrate the urine, leading to increased volumes of urine and urine frequency.
More often, decreased amounts of urine volume and decreased need to urinate, are symptoms of kidney disease.

Are you experiencing any pain, discomfort, or burning sensation during urination, too?
Have you been tested for diabetes?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Did your doctor do any blood work at all? This will show your GFR?
Did you do a 24 hour urine collection?

Speaking from experience, there are days my urine output is a lot for me, then other days it's not to often I go. I am in stage 3 kidney failure.

Did your doctor try any medication to help with your OAB?

I have to agree with MandMs about the pain, burning during urination...do you have any of these symptoms?

Happy Birthday GreyWolf....hope you are feeling better.. rainbow
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Thanks very much for the birthday wishes! Very Happy

I don't actually have a problem with holding urine, I just find that anything I drink seems to pass through my system at the speed of light.
I just cant understand why everytime I drink something I'm going every ten of fifteen minutes for the next hour and my bladder is pretty much full every time I go.

I sometimes get a burning sensation and other times I get lower back pain, and I suffer a lot from "feminine itching" as some people call it. I mean almost all the time.

Yes I was tested for diabetes as part of a routine blood test and my test results were completely normal (apart from me being iron deficient).
When I first went to a urologist a few years ago I did a "bladder diary" for a week (measuring the amount of urine passed) and my bladder can hold large amounts of urine, it just seems to fill really quickly when I drink anything. I mean I seem to go to the loo three times as much as anyone else after having had less to drink, it's crazy.
And yeah I have been on various meds for my OAB, anti-diuretics, muscle relaxants, anti-spasmodics, the works.

I've tried Vesicare which had little to no effect, Regurin, which was the same, and oxybutinin which made it worse.
I have been put back on Oxybutinin but only supposed to take it when it's really bad, but I'm having the same problems again, so I've stopped taking it because it's causing my bladder to go haywire. It helps for the first few doses, but then does completely the opposite, seeming to make me need to go more, and I also find that it is actually stopping me from going properly, I find it difficult to empty my bladder at all.

I feel like I'm going in circles because all the treatments I'm being recommended I've already tried.

It's just very frustrating and I'm sick of it, I've put up with it for six years and still no-one even has a clue as to what is wrong.
|

replied April 2nd, 2009
GreyWolf wrote:
Thanks very much for the birthday wishes! Very Happy

I don't actually have a problem with holding urine, I just find that anything I drink seems to pass through my system at the speed of light.
I just cant understand why everytime I drink something I'm going every ten of fifteen minutes for the next hour and my bladder is pretty much full every time I go.

I sometimes get a burning sensation and other times I get lower back pain, and I suffer a lot from "feminine itching" as some people call it. I mean almost all the time.

Yes I was tested for diabetes as part of a routine blood test and my test results were completely normal (apart from me being iron deficient).
When I first went to a urologist a few years ago I did a "bladder diary" for a week (measuring the amount of urine passed) and my bladder can hold large amounts of urine, it just seems to fill really quickly when I drink anything. I mean I seem to go to the loo three times as much as anyone else after having had less to drink, it's crazy.
And yeah I have been on various meds for my OAB, anti-diuretics, muscle relaxants, anti-spasmodics, the works.

I've tried Vesicare which had little to no effect, Regurin, which was the same, and oxybutinin which made it worse.
I have been put back on Oxybutinin but only supposed to take it when it's really bad, but I'm having the same problems again, so I've stopped taking it because it's causing my bladder to go haywire. It helps for the first few doses, but then does completely the opposite, seeming to make me need to go more, and I also find that it is actually stopping me from going properly, I find it difficult to empty my bladder at all.

I feel like I'm going in circles because all the treatments I'm being recommended I've already tried.

It's just very frustrating and I'm sick of it, I've put up with it for six years and still no-one even has a clue as to what is wrong.

i have had similar problems for about four years now.
i was first diagnosed with prostatits. but no medication seemed to work.
i had a prostate massage it showed a little bit of infection but not much.

i have since been diagnosed with overactive bladder

over the last couple of years the pain seems to have eased, but the frequency hasn't.
some days im alright, some days it's hell! i never leak, but i go, sometimes every half hour, even if i have had nothing to drink.

my consultant has now booked me in for botex injections. the side effect, of which terrifies me, is in a lot of cases you have put a catheter in to help use pass water!!

ah well. have to go{again}
good luck
danny
|

replied April 13th, 2009
Same Problem
i have had similar problems for about four years now.
i was first diagnosed with prostatits. but no medication seemed to work.
i had a prostate massage it showed a little bit of infection but not much.

i have since been diagnosed with overactive bladder

over the last couple of years the pain seems to have eased, but the frequency hasn't.
some days im alright, some days it's hell! i never leak, but i go, sometimes every half hour, even if i have had nothing to drink.

my consultant has now booked me in for botex injections. the side effect, of which terrifies me, is in a lot of cases you have put a catheter in to help use pass water!!

ah well. have to go{again}
good luck
danny

danny72,

I have had the same problem since August of '07. I was diagnosed with prostatits, but after a few months of medication and no improvement, my doctor had me endure a prostatic ultrasound. Naturally nothing was found besides the enlarged prostate, which I already knew I had.

A urologist had me take a urine-flow test, and he said my bladder was "awesome." No one seems to know what the hell is wrong, and I still find myself getting up at night to go. It's not just a dribble here and there, either. As you know it's very frustrating being tired every day.

If you're able to find out anything new, let me know. I'll surely try and do the same.

-Chris
|

replied April 17th, 2009
Greywolf - what's your status now?
I have been suffering for 2 1/2 years symptoms very similar to yours, Greywolf, also with no relief. I've been put on all the medications and currently take Ditropan, though it really doesn't help. My main sense is the constant urge to urinate, no matter how much I have already gone. I too seem to have an endless supply of urine, though testing shows I empty my bladder (it never feels that way). I can spend hours in the bathroom and still feel the urge to pee, even when nothing comes out. Yet according to all the testing, I am perfectly healthy and have nothing wrong - which is so frustrating because it makes me feel like I'm losing my mind. I've done urodynamics testing twice - 2 years ago and again just recently. I have no problem holding it in and never leak - in fact, the problem may be that my bladder and urethral muscles are so tense, that I never relax. I've tried medication for that and eitherit doesn't help or the side effects are so bad I can't stay on the meds long enough to find out. The impact on my life is immeasurable. I can't exercise, or go long stretches away from a bathroom. I have a 2 year old daughter and it keeps me from being able to just play with ehr and be relaxed.
Greywof - have you found any answers? relief? would love to hear.
-RB
|

replied June 8th, 2009
Greywolf, have you gotten a work up for Interstitial Cystitis (IC)? IC and OAB share a lot of common symptoms and some urologists do not have the expertise to distinguish one from the other. The treatment for IC is different for OAB.

Try to keep a diary for the next few days and count your fluid intake and outtake. Most folks urinate between 3-6 times each day; 8 or more is abnormal.

Under normal circumstances, the kidneys process and produce about 1 oz of urine per hour.
|

replied August 7th, 2009
urination problems
i am a male i have a similar problem in that i have to urinate after every drink .i find that when i urinate at a public toilet that i urinate only a quater to half the time most people urinate.They stand there and urinate and im astounded how long they urinate for.It seems like ages to me.some of them are alot older than me .I reckon thats my problem .I dont pee long enough.my flow is fine .i am seeing my doctor at the moment but he is trying this and that .im thinking of changing doctors. i will watch your progress .how is it now. oh yeah i lose sleep at night because i have to get up and go every night once or twice even three sometimes than cant go back to sleep.there must be thosands of people out there with simliar problems that have been sucessfully cured you would think.cheers
|

replied August 26th, 2009
Cyctocele
I have a cystocele in my vagina which causes me to urinate often. Now my creatinene bum level is up to 1.08 (1.00 being the norm). I just discontinued taking any pain meds such as Aleve, Vicodin or Ibuprofen to perhaps alleviate the strain on my kidneys so that I will not develop kidney disease. Any hints of what else to do.

Bbagodina2
|

replied October 11th, 2009
I have an overactive bladder and i pee about thirty times a day, worst at night im up 6 to 7 times, it does ny head in. ive seen my uroligist and have had all the ests done and he said i will have to put up with it, he put me on a programme where you have to hold your pee in for longer than usual and train your bladder ba ck to how it was,,,,i cant do this as i want the loo all of the time!..i can wee get into bed and a minute later wee again get into bed and it happens again...its one big nightmare, it spoils your social life,,,what id do for a good nights sleep without feeling the urge to go all the time,,,,,, so much for the medication ive tried three types nono of them worked...vesicare,regurin and i forgot the other,,,hopefully someone out there mite be able to help.
|

replied November 18th, 2011
To S.
Wow, I have the exact same issue, but some weeks it's worse than others and I don't understand why. I have also been complaining of lower back pain for years and have had my Creatinine and eGFR tested numerous times, only to be told that they are "normal". I was just wondering if UTI's have been an issue for you throughout your life. I really your post is over two years old and am very interested to know if anything has changed for you since then. I really feel for you. I'm so exhausted from getting up 10-20 times during the night. Hope things are looking up for you.
L.C.
|

replied November 2nd, 2009
I have this problem of passing too much water and I have done several tests like ultra sound of the kidneys,cytoscopy,x-ray of the kidneys and urodynamics ,blood test ,urine test and results showed that my kidneys are okay.I have been placed on several medication but all to no avail.What could wrong with me.
|

replied November 25th, 2010
It seems that noone, who posted here or anywhere about frequent urination, haven't found the cause and cure for this problem.
I'm a sufferer myself. With diabetes and kidney as the causes being ruled out, my suspicion is BPH or prostate enlargement. Our condition is made worse by the fact that we've become more aware with our urinary system. Even when we feel fine, we are subconsciously expecting the next urge to go. This becomes a vicious circle. We become tense all the time.

I'd like to help you guys all just as much I'd really want to help myself. So I'm trying these methods in hope that it can ease our problem.
1. To ease up the urge to go, inhale shortly and then exhale/breathe out slowly and as long as you can.
2. Another way to ease up is by doing some kegel excercise (find out about it on the net).
3. Try to put a minimum span between urination. Let's say, you will only go after 30 minutes. If you feel the urge before 30 minutes, hold it. Expand the span to 45 minutes.
4. Don't drink too much all at once. It is better to drink the normal amount of water, but one sip at a time.
5. Get sweaty everyday. Don't have to be a rigorous excercise, just a 30-minute threadmill. Sweats will expell excess salt from your body which would otherwise be expelled through urine.

I think that's all I can think of right now. I'd really love to know how's that would be of any help to you. I'd do the same.
|

replied July 7th, 2011
Help
I go at least 25 to 30 times a day full bladder almost ever time I quit drinking anything early and i still get up and go every two hours at night and at work I go about every 15 to 30 minutes sometimes longer but not by much i have back pain sometimes but it dont hurt when I go I just would like to know what I can do to sleep a full night
|