Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Keppra and weight loss? (Page 1)

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
I've gained quite a bit of weight from depakote and the neuro told me keppra will help me lose it again. Anyone have experiences with Keppra that are notable? thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JAlis33
|

replied July 23rd, 2008
I was the exact opposite, I lost nearly 25 pounds on depakote but it made me extremely depressed and cause my arms and legs to go numb so he switched me to keppra... I didn't gain or lose on Keppra...
|

replied September 17th, 2009
keppra
I have been on keppra for 3 months. I have been depressed , lost 5kg and have headaches.
|

replied November 12th, 2009
holy weight loss, batman!
i lost 31 pounds while on my keppra taper, but i think it was because the drug took away my appetite, completely. its not magic or anything..and for people who cant afford to lose weight like that (i now weigh barely over 100lbs), its a little disturbing. i have to force myself to eat with no appetite. fun fun fun.
|

replied November 15th, 2009
I only lost weight when i was first put on keppra. but ive been on it for a little over 3 years now and my weight hasnt fluctuated alot. i guess my body had to get use to it. i do have a loss in appetite especially when i first started it.

swim9
its normal to feel depressed on keppra. i get depressed and from what other people have said its extremely common to get depressed. my dr just seemed to forget to mention that to me. i didnt even think that it was my medication up until a week ago.

how did you cope when you first found out that you had epilepsy? i was diagnosed when i was 7 so ive had it for 12 years now and i just started talking about it. i still get uncomfortable most of the time.
|

replied November 18th, 2009
I have noticed the weight loss and reduced appetite but thought that was from getting off the Depikote not from starting the Kepra. I am now transfering to Lamictal. Has anyone noticed anything specific to that?
|

replied September 15th, 2011
Lamictal
I've been on Lamictal for over 10 years. It has had ZERO side effects and has worked great. The only seizures i have had in that period of time were my fault, i.e. not taking medication, not getting enough sleep, drinking too much. Meds affect everyone differently but this medication is thumbs up in my book.
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
I'm 44 years of age and have been Epileptic since birth. I take Keppra along with two other anti-epileptic drugs. As for Keppra, i take 1500mg a day, 750mg morning and 750mg evening. I've always been of slim build and can't honestly say whether i have or haven't lost weight taking Keppra. I've taken this drug for approx 6 years starting off with 500mg daily.
It was added to the other two medications i take for Epilepsy but i still get average 3 seizures a fortnight.
Along with the other medications, i feel too drowsy as it is so i'm not too happy to have to take extra. I also take Warfarin daily as a blood thinner.
|

replied December 4th, 2009
Mntbkrguy

From what i have learned by researching, talking to other people and personal experience, people do lose weight and loss of appetite from the keppra. i take both keppra and lamictal https://surveys.montclair.edu/survey/entry .jsp?id=1190662157545i dont know if its just the keppra or the combination. but since you were feeling it before the lamictal and keppra combination then im assuming its from being off depikote.

wales01633

since you have had epilepsy your whole life has it stopped you from doing anything? were you unable to participate in certain things? ive asked before how people cope with it. because lately ive been having that problem more and more. it use to bother me but i didnt think about it that much. now that i accept that i have it and it will never go away, it only makes it that much harder. it was easier when i ignored it. did you ever ignore it?
|

replied June 19th, 2012
I've had epilepsy from 9 months old, and the only thing I've found that I've been limited in is my driving, or lack of it, which can cause discrimination with getting some work, and be inconvenient at times if the public transport doesn't go to particular areas- You do get used to it though. The longer you have epilepsy the more coping strategies you find, and also bear in mind that you may find a drug combination that works to control your epilepsy, so your limitations may no longer exist.
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
I was on Eplim (1500mg) for 12 years, as my partner and I are getting married in April 2010, we thought it was time to see a consultant in regards to changing medication as we would like to start a family. I was put on Keppra (1500mg). The weight just literally dropped off me once I came off Eplim, and I have lost up to 4 pounds a week, in total two stone. I have now bought my wedding dress and purchased new clothes to fit my much smaller figure but unbeknown to me, my mental health has deteriated significantly over the past few months. I feel like I'm on Speed at time, and get very hyperactive and get pulsating earache. To begin with I loved the weight lose, the energy, and the sensation of being 'speeded up' but then the violent temper tantrums started the almost manic like depression - it has become unbearable. My partner told me he was leaving me last night as he can no longer cope with this and I have had to contact my consultant who immeadiately deceided to take me off Keppra and I now have to go back onto Eplim. I'm in a bit of a state of confusion about all this and finding it difficult to deal with.
|

replied February 22nd, 2010
i am on keppra also for severe migraines. it is really helping.i also have fibromyalgia .i have found keppra leaves no appetite for anything.i tried topamax and with such severe side effects i felt like i was being poisioned.it is a wicked drug not to be taken lightly.keppra is working for now so thats a good thing
|

replied April 20th, 2010
Epilepsy Keppra Side Effects
I have recently been put on Keppra and have dropped from 54 kgs to 46 in a month. I am currently on Lamictal and Keppra. Has anyone had this drastic weight loss?
|

replied May 3rd, 2010
I do not lose weight but gained weight. I have been on this drug for around 10 years already. I have been taking Keppra, lamictal, tregetol. I would like to know anyone has managed to stop all this medications and in some years no seizure happened?
|

replied May 19th, 2010
Keppra Weight Loss
I have been taking Keppra for about 9 months now. I am a fit and active middle-aged male. I have been watching what I eat over the last 3 months or so (taking lunch to work and not eating out alot). I have lost approximately 10 lbs. I know I live a fairly healthy lifestyle, but I am not active enough to shed 10 lbs over 3 months. I believe the Keppra helped with the weight loss.
|

replied June 20th, 2010
Keppra Appetite and "Speediness"
I'm noticing the suppressed appetite and the "speed" feeling... having difficulty controlling my sleeping pattern.

Only been on Keppra a few days. Has anyone else noticed the effects and if so do they lessen or go away?

BTW, I'm on it for Partial siezures and Bi-polar (mostly depressed)... Helped anyone with these problems?
|

replied February 6th, 2011
I was switched from Epilim to Keppra a month ago and I also have noticed the loss of appetite.. I've always been skinny but I gained a few kilos from Epilim (4 to be exact over 2 years) which came off soon after I stopped taking it and now I lost additional 1.5 kg.

I've also noticed that I get VERY aggressive sometimes. I am a girl and I never felt so angry as to punch someone. Well, not until I started taking Keppra anyway. I have had 4 burst of anger so far that left me feeling exhausted and depressed afterwards (almost like being bipolar).

The other side effect that's bothering me is an almost constant headache. It's not very severe but still quite annoying and makes me grumpy.

But I am hoping that my body will adjust to the medication and the side effects with becomes more bearable over time. And for me they are still much better than those that I experienced on Epilim, which made me really depressed.
|

replied February 11th, 2011
Keppra has made me loose a load of weight
I have always been pretty skinny but in the normal weight range. I went from being 5'3 and 51 kg down to just 46 kg, or 113 pounds down to 102 pounds, in the space of 3 months. This has made my BMI go from the normal weight range of 19.8 to under weight of 18.1
I have no energy any more and I feel really weak.

(If you dont understand BMI here is a link to give you an idea http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ )

I think this is due to a number of things
1. I have stopped going out and drinking as much because I am always too tired and alcohol effects me more now
2.my apatite is almost non existent most days or I feel nauseous at the thought of food
3. I have been throwing up a lot in the middle of the night.

It all started when I started on 500mg of Keppra morning and night (so 1000mg total) on the 10th of November, it is now only February 11th. I'm off to the doctor on Monday to see what the hell can be done because I spent yet another night getting ill last night and the last thing I need is to loose more weight or else I'll be a skeleton before I know it.

It sucks....
|

replied February 18th, 2011
I've beeon 3000 mg of Keppra for about 8 months and was recently put on lamictal, and even more recently on triamterine/hydrochlorithiadizefor high blood pressure.
Since being on this combination of drugs my weight has dropped 13 pounds, particularly since being put on the blood pressure medication.

Anybody else with similar experience?

jimstl37
|

replied March 16th, 2011
Keppra Isn't for Me
First of all I'm a high energy person to begin with so the following may have something to do with that.

I've been on Keppra three and half weeks and it hasn't worked for me.

I have high anxiety, panic attacks, depressed feeling (which just isn't me), I "use" to sleep, and have lost 10 pounds (just can't eat). Even went to my favorite restaurant and still couldn't eat.

The process to go off is SLOW so I have another three weeks on 500mg X 2......I'm actually crossing off each day. I was on Depakote for 20+ years and never had anything like what I have now.

I think Keppra works great for some, but is a nightmare for others.
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Keppra and weight loss
I was put on keppra for daily headaches. I was on topamax for 5 years and it just stopped working i guess my body just got too used to it and its been on commercials for lawyers about birth defects and i do want to have a baby eventually. I started Keppra 250X2 6 days ago and have lost 6 lbs (so about a pound a day). I have no appetite what so ever i am forcing myself to eat. Im supposed to go up to 500X2 tommorow. Does the weight loss eventually slow down? Im thin to begin with but could lose a couple pounds but at this rate i will be down to nothing in a couple weeks.
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
regarding loosing weight with Keppra
I have been on Keppra for 3 years.1000 mlg. in the morning,and 1500 at night.I am taking also lamictol for 7 years and had no problems with Lamictol.With Keppra I lost 7 pounds and how I have problem with blurred vision.My doctor does not really care about that so I just have to find another one.But the answer on Your question is yes I did loose weight ,and have not appetite at all.
Hope You feel better
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
I have been on Keppra for 3 years.1000 mlg. in the morning,and 1500 at night.I am taking also lamictol for 7 years and had no problems with Lamictol.With Keppra I lost 7 pounds and how I have problem with blurred vision.My doctor does not really care about that so I just have to find another one.But the answer on Your question yes I did loose weight ,and have not appetite at all.
Hope You feel better
|

replied October 29th, 2011
Keppra weight loss
Ive had epilepsy since I was 2 from a head injury. Ive been on Phenobarbital, Tegretol,
and Depakote. now I take Keppra and I've lost 10lbs in a month, my stomach is growling but I have no appetite. what can you do though?
|
12 >>
Tags: weight, loss, Epilepsy
Quick Reply