Medical Questions > Mens Health > Penis Forum

Keeping Foreskin Retracted

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
Hey everyone,

I'm a 16 year old male, and I've made a decision to start keeping my foreskin retracted, for hygienic as well as sexual reasons . This has turned out to be difficult for me, because it becomes unbearably uncomfortable after a while. The area on my penis where it becomes uncomfortable is around the frenulum. Also, my foreskin "inflates" and turns pale after a while of keeping it retracted.

Is this normal? What steps do I have to take to start wearing my foreskin back 24/7?

Also, I've found this on the internet, after searching Google for "keep foreskin retracted":

"First, grasp the penis near its base with the left thumb and
index finger, pulling the foreskin back slightly behind the rim
of the glans. Then, forming a loose circle with the thumb and
index finger of the right hand, gently stroke forward on the
folds of foreskin until they turn under. If done correctly, the
characteristically ragged leading edge of the folds of foreskin
will be turned under completely, leaving a sculptured look, as if
one had been circumcised by an expensive plastic surgeon.
Moreover, the foreskin will remain retracted almost forever."

I don't completely understand these instructions. Maybe someone could point me towards some help?

Once again, how do I wear my foreskin retracted comfortably 24/7? Is the uncomfort/inflating skin I'm experiencing normal? ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot,

Anonymous128
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper anonymous128
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2008
Supporter
The discomfort is totally normal. Your penis is sensitive and is used to be covered all the time. It's not meant to be uncovered or to experience rough textures or high amounts of friction. It's something you're going to have to tolerate for awhile. As for the colour change.. I'm pretty sure that's normal too. Your penis head is used to being moist and will dry out. Over time, the head will become calloused and less sensitive. I don't really understand the directions either... except maybe it's trying to tell you to turn your foreskin inside out? instead of having a double layer of skin covering your head, you're supposed to have a double layer of skin covering your shaft. Does that make sense?
|

replied March 17th, 2008
Experienced User
An uncircumcised penis isn't ideally suited for permanent retraction. This is because of the sensitivity issue. The glans (crown) of a circumcised penis develops an extremely thin layer of extra skin in order to combat the sensitivity. An uncircumcised penis, used to the protection of a foreskin, won't do this. I wouldn't recommend leaving your foreskin in a permanently retracted state.

Why do you want to permanently retract your foreskin? Hygienically, if you can retract and clean behind the foreskin, this becomes a non-issue. For what sexual reason do you want a permanently retracted foreskin? If you're not circumcised, forced retraction could be disadvantageous if anything.
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
It should really only retract to get it clean (during your shower) and during sex. Your penis head is really sensitive and wants to be covered! That's why it's uncomfortable.
|

replied March 20th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Why on earth would you want it retracted.
As mentioned above your head and glands will dry out and you are going
to loose sensitivity and thats not great for orgasms.

If you could put your penis next to another's mans who is circumcised
you will see a big difference. Dry and rough compared to your own.
don't do it and be thankful your intact.
|

replied April 1st, 2008
Dont worry mate-- when i was your age i started doing the same and my penis was also extrememly sensitive and i struggled. I'm now 10 years older and it is no discomfort at all. Over a short period of time your penis will adjust, as someone above also said.

Remember-- it has been covered up for 16 years.
|

replied July 21st, 2012
Skin
As an adolescent I always retracted it when I urinated but soon after I too took it that step further. In a later conversation with my grandfather he told me he did the same.

Anyhow, I have accustomed to keep my foreskin retracted most of the time for years now. Don't get me wrong, I like having it (for when in use), but I don't like it collecting humidity.

Every one is different but in my case I just pull it back, whatever is rippled gets pulled back again (you get a small, barely visible, double fold), and that's that. I don't even use underwear and it stays back. Give it some time and the skin will automatically adjust and become used it.
|

replied September 4th, 2012
To cut or not to cut...
I have kept mine retracted for around two years now. It was a bit uncomfortable for around two or three months. But I got used to it. Dryness of the glan can be sorted with a bit of moisturizer cream. I was lucky that my foreskin just stayed comfortably back. But you should make sure that the area directly behind the head is properly dry which will help to hold the foreskin back. Now I have the best of both options, to be or not circirumcised. The glans is less sensitive and I find that I last longer during sex.
|

replied September 4th, 2012
To add to my previous comment. My penis also stays clean and dry and even after a long day of work or excercise it is still perfectly clean, no humidity or smell or smegma. But the foreskin still works the same. During sex or erection my foreskin always naturally retracted and now if I wish to I can just slide it forward. But I find it more comfortable to have it retracted now and I like the look.
|

replied October 11th, 2012
Retracting foreskin
I have a long foreskin and my penis is very much shorter when flaccid. I would like to keep retracted but there is alot to hold back behind the glans. Any ideas?
|

replied October 11th, 2012
Retracting foreskin
I have a long foreskin and my penis is very much shorter when flaccid. I would like to keep retracted but there is alot to hold back behind the glans. Any ideas?
|

replied January 18th, 2013
I'm 29 and have been keeping my foreskin retracted 90% of the time. In the beginning, it was hard to keep foreskin retracted because my head was rubbing against my underwear which creates frequent arousal. But after that, when my was less sensitive it didnt have this problem anymore. I keep my foreskin look of my head exposed but I dont want to go underneath the knife.

It took my foreskin awhile to stay retracted, it took alot of frequent pulling it back during the day. It took awhile to get use to, because i could feel my foreskin was retracted. eventually my foreskin stayed retracted and i couldnt even feel if my foreskin was retracted or not.

it will take awhile for your foreskin to stay permanently retracted. Try to keep your foreskin retracted 24/7. if it rolls forward, pull it back. Try wearing brief. Keep your foreskin retracted when you masturbate. tug ur foreskin back (towards you) when you masturbate, don't bring it forward. It took me close to year for my skin to stay back 24/7. just have patients. This made my life better. There's no smell, easy to clean, I was able to last longer cause the head is less sensitive.
|

replied February 3rd, 2013
Training your foreskin to stay retracted is a great idea. It basically gives you the best of both worlds so to speak. You keep all the nerve endings that circumcised guys have lost and don't have the hygiene issues with a covered glans. Getting used to a very sensitive glans rubbing on your underwear takes some getting used to but is well worth it down the road. I have found a great way to accomplish this that I would like to share. It's called Stealth Innerwear for men. It not only keeps your foreskin pulled back but it creates a nice bulge as well. I've been wearing mine for a month now and really like it.
|

replied December 23rd, 2013
I had recurrent balanitis for 3 years. My doctor kept insisting on a circumcision. I searched the internet and read what it was like to be circumcised and made the appointment for circumcision. I read somewhere that keeping foreskin retracted can reduce the sensitivity of glans and make it more comfortable after circumcision. I started to wear the silicone ring like on wiki pictures:

After 3 weeks of wearing glans uncovered the balanitis was completely gone and I canceled the circumcision appointment. I wear the silicone glans ring all the time ,started this 2 years ago and have no problems since.
|

replied December 26th, 2013
Later in life
I am getting up in years, 64. I have had the skin retracted for about 12 years now. It just looks like I have been clipped. Before I started retracting it, when I had an erection the skin covered only about 75% of the head. Now once in a great while when I wake up in the morning it won't be retracted. But if it is I simply pull it back and go on about my day. There was no change in my sex life what so ever. I do think it looks better with the entire head exposed during an erection. Razz
|

replied December 27th, 2013
Need a video
I read the post about rolling your foreskin under? I have tried this over and over again. Does it matter how long the skin is, or is there a trick to it that I am missing? Need to make a video of how to do it and post it.
|
Tags: skin
Quick Reply