Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

just found that he is not eating he is hiding his food

Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...
User Profile
my son is 11 years old he has asd (autism) and suffers with constipation is on senna daily for that, i have just found that he is not eating he is hiding his food in the bin, i say i only just found this out as my younger son has many problems sleep being one of them so when my 11 year old is eating i am trying to get his brother to sleep and i have been finding his food under other rubbish in the bin i dont know what to do as food has always been an issue please help

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2012
Autism Answer A30119
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

From the symptoms it seems like constipation is the main cause which is causing a vicious cycle of constipation and unwillingness to sleep.

Constipation can have a few causes like intestinal motility disorders, low fiber diet, low physical activity, metabolic/ endocrine abnormalities like hypothyroidism, uremia, hypercalcemia etc., side effect of a few medications, growths/masses, irritable bowel syndrome, laxative overuse, dehydration, strokes, systemic disorders etc.

Treatment includes regular exercise, increased fluid intake and bowel habit training. It would help greatly if you tried to ritualize the bowel habits. Bowel movements are known to be stimulated by certain activities like waking and eating.

If the symptoms persist then consult a gastroenterologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Autism , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.