Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

jumping awake when falling asleep

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I just posted in another thread about how happy I am that I found this site. I believe I have been experiencing my first round of anxiety attacks in the past week or so.

Anyway, I have had a ton of symptoms - lightheadedness, can't breathe, left arm numbness/pain/tingling, nausea, etc etc. (I've had a full cardiac workup and everything is normal.) Also, when I am trying to go to sleep at night, I always jump awake feeling like I'm not breathing or like my heart isn't beating. This happens like 5-6 times before I am actually able to fall asleep. It almost feels like my body doesn't want me to go to sleep b/c I'm afraid I will stop breathing in my sleep or something.

Has anyone else experienced this particular symptom? I am almost positive it's part of the anxiety. It's annoying as it is causing me to lose sleep, plus, it's scary. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper coolbeans
|

replied December 10th, 2009
hey, it is anxiety i have the same thing sometimes when its really bad ill falL asleep and jerk awake really fast. What u need to do is not think about ur health, and ull be fine. I know its hard to just stop thinking about cuz i have the same problem but it will work. Im trying to find answers too. I have terrible anxiety and i need to take care of it. best of luck!
|

replied January 30th, 2012
Well, the same thing has been happening to me. You nailed the feeling, like my heart is stopping/dying I suppose. It is terrifying at times and makes me bit even want to sleep.
In fact that is why I am on here right now. I have also had almost identical symptoms as you. I too have had the echo/stress, a full ultra sound of my abdomen, EKG, blood analysis, and CT. All unremarkable results. Doc never even suggested stress or anxiety but I have been starting to lean that way on my own. You don't happen to be a veteran too, do you? Not sure if it's PTSD related.
|

replied January 30th, 2012
Well, the same thing has been happening to me. In fact that is why I am on here right now. I have also had almost identical symptoms as you. I too have had the echo/stress, a full ultra sound of my abdomen, EKG, blood analysis, and CT. All unremarkable results. Doc never even suggested stress or anxiety but I have been starting to lean that way on my own. You don't happen to be a veteran too, do you? Not sure if it's PTSD related.
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
I have had the same thing happen to me and it one of the scarest feelings. I suffer from generalized anxiety and panic attacks. My doctor is trying to find the proper meds for me and I am seeing a psychologist to learn strategies to cope/what is causing my anxiety. My doctor said that it was anxiety/panic related. It happens to me once in a while and will do on for like four/five attempts at going to sleep. I eventually take a xanax and then I can go to sleep.
|

replied March 14th, 2012
wow, i really thought i had a heart problem or something bad was wrong with me, i sometimes have strange heart beats for a couple of days too. but i have the same symptoms as you, as soon as i try too sleep i get a strange shake like my body doesnt want me to fall asleep. feels like im going to stop breathing or like my heart is gonna fail. has any body found help for this or medication, or is a psychiatrist the best option? kind of glad to know its not just me..
|

replied March 14th, 2012
I MYSELF HAVE HAD THESE PROBLEMS SINCE I WAS 16 AND NOW 28 XANAX ARE GOOD FOR THAT OR AN ANTI DEPRESENT
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
I also get the same feelings before i sleep. I am currently 19 and have had this experience since i was 13. Sometimes i find avoiding sweets before sleeping helps, i have not yet tried Xanax but it might now be a good option. No you are not alone and hopefully someone will figure out how to cure it. Like mentioned before, just try not to think about it and you will be okay. Goodluck.
|

User Profile
replied September 6th, 2012
anxiety/panic attacks
I'm here right now because the same thing is happening to me. Just when I am going to sleep, I jerk and it scares me, I also do a loud OOH! So hubby doesn't get to sleep either. I take anti-depressants, xanax, and have anxiety and panic attacks. I had lung cancer and after surgery is when it all started. I do have a cure or a fix. After 4-5 I usually just get up.
|

replied November 29th, 2012
I have the same symptoms n more my body jerk me awake. In fact my body shakes all day internally. It drive me crazy. I was on xanax for 2 years my doctor jus change me to celexa I not sure of dats working but I done kno I am tired of these anxiety attacks.
|

anxiety
I have the same symptoms n more my body jerk me awake. In fact my body shakes all day internally. It drive me crazy. I was on xanax for 2 years my doctor jus change me to celexa I not sure of dats working but I done kno I am tired of these anxiety attacks.
|

September 29, 2012
Do any one have the symptom of their whole body shaking or tremors all day u really notice it wen u aint doin nothing.
|

September 29, 2012
Do any one have the symptom of their whole body shaking or tremors all day u really notice it wen u aint doin nothing.
|

|

replied January 21st, 2014
I'm glad I'm not alone on this one, here for the very same reasons. 1st time it happend I was like really scared, thought I was having a heart attack or something. Went to the Dr's had blood tests etc and was fine.
Felt fine for about a year after and it happend again, but this time I didnt panic and just stayed awake until 4am and I finally dropped off. not had one for another year and ahlf, but last night was same again. Again dropped off at 2:30am after about 5-6 jerks, but again I didnt panic and again I was fine after. I also get the funny heart beat every so often, like sometimes get a minute or 2 of butterflies and very fast heart rate, although I feel fine, also had where heart misses a beat. I put it down to stress, and anixety, and dont let it panic me and everything goes back to normal.... Way I think abaou it is. if it was a heart attack etc it wouldn't stop as soon as you wake up and sit up.
|