Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Joint and stomach pain

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I live a healthy lifestyle in nearly every way - exercise, diet, habits. I do not like going to the doctor on principal unless I feel it is an emergency. However, I don't know what to do with these nagging symptoms that won't go away.

About nine months ago I noticed I was frequently nauseous and occasionally had diarrhea and stomach pain. I went to the doctor but was unable to really give a definition of what was going on; she diagnosed it as stress but this is probably the first year in awhile when nothing stressful has happened to me. I have no reason to be stressed. She did recommend to return if it continued.

These symptoms come and ago with hours, several days or weeks in between:
--persistent nausea,
--occasional diarrhea,
--varying stomach pains: cramp-like, concentrated "pangs" in lower or sides, burning/aching sensations around my diaphragm, bloating after meals (unrelated to period), general "ache" all over, occasional "pangs" extending to lower back,
--slight burning sensation in my throat
--feeling like I'm swallowing mucus
--constant belching!
--difficulty breathing when in certain positions
--and most recently: hips slightly sore, sore finger joint, white spot on tonsils

any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Abdominal pains like cramping pain and more constant pain, abdominal bloating, diarrhea soon after meal or in the mornings, lower back pain, fatigue, unpleasant taste in mouth, urinary symptoms are all symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
Abdominal pain and bloating can cease or not after having a bowel movement.
Persistent nausea, burning sensations in throat, feeling like swallowing a mucus or known as a post nasal drip, constant belching, chest pains, unpleasant taste in mouth, even tongue coating, are symptoms of GERD, or acid reflux.
People with IBS, are more prone to develop acid reflux.
Sore finger joints, stiffed fingers, especially after prolong time of inactivity, like after waking up, are characteristic for arthritis.
Big joints like hips, knees, shoulders, are usually affected symmetrically when there is a possible case of rheumatoid arthritis.
When tonsils get infected they swell, become red, inflamed, and show a surface coating of white spots.
This is known as tonsillitis.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

User Profile
thanks for the help Smile only thing is I'm pretty young (19) so I don't really think I could have arthritis. and i researched tonsillitis and I don't have a sore throat or really feel sick at all so ... I'm just confused! but thanks for the abdominal stuff.
|

Experienced User
19 year olds can get rheumatoid arthritis but the only way to check for that is through your doctor. Today is about preventative medicine. You shouldn't wait until anything is an emergency to seek treatment. You don't want a disease process to get too far out of control before you treat it. It will be much easier on you if you take care of yourself early and not wait. Please go get yourself evaluated, you are too young to be having so many different symptoms.
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
payton22!
You are welcome!
White spots on tonsils as a single sign and even negative throat swabs, can be seen when tonsils are affected by germs.
This can be linked to virus, bacteria or fungi infection.
People that suffer from acid reflux, can develop mouth and throat candida (fungus) overgrowth (tongue coating, white spots on tonsils)
Rheumatoid arthritis may present at any age, and there are forms that manifest in children and young people.
I don't wanna cause you extra worries, but, is better to get checked.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2009
Yes, I will try and get a doctor's appointment when my college gets on spring break (within the next week). Everything you suggested makes sense, only ... I don't really have the "typical" symptoms of GERD or RA (my grandma had RA and a friend of mine has child/junior arthritis and I feel nothing like they say it feels like; the symptoms have already gone away for now).

Now I have a blood blister in my mouth as well, so for the sake of my mental sanity (I'm kind of a germophobe!) I really need to see my doc. thanks for the suggestions; I was really starting to wonder if I'm just being paranoid!
|

replied January 19th, 2012
payton22, did you ever figure out what this was? I have had exactly same symptoms for years!
|