Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Join pain only in the winter, sign of arthritis?

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
My right pinky finger is swollen around the middle joint and there is some pain. This started happening last week. I had this same problem last year as well but it went away as it got warmer out. I'm only 23 and so I'm a bit worried that it could be Arthritis but it only shows up for maybe a month and a half before going away slowly.

Any ideas what this could be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
prosidius,

The proximal interphalangeal joint (PIPJ) of the fingers is very susceptible to many disorders.

It could be some type of arthritic condition, but it is unusual for it to only bother you a few weeks a year. But, it's possible.

Any minor trauma can cause quite a bit of problems in the PIPJ. They do not take being injured very well. The PIPJ can stay swollen for a long time, even after minor trauma.

The PIPJ of the small finger is also a place that if affected by clinodactyly and camptodactyly quite commonly. Both of these conditions can cause swelling and discomfort. But, usually their presenting problem is that of a curve or bend in the finger.

If the condition becomes persistent or is bothersome to you, you should have it evaluated by a hand surgeon.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?