Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

jaw snaps

I've looked on the net and haven't seen anything on this.... 2 or 3 times a week, usually as I'm falling asleep or when I'm asleep, my jaw snaps - hard and fast - just like a snapping turtle! What might cause this - I have all the other symptoms of tmj as well. The snap is hard and fast - any response is much appreciated....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
its all just part of the tmj---there will come a time when you just have it happen and say oh that was weird and pay no more heed to it. that is the best way to deal with this
|

replied June 6th, 2008
Experienced User
is it a muscle spasm of some sort?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
no its your joint going slightly out and then going back in
|

replied June 6th, 2008
Experienced User
Ohhhh.... that's interesting because when I yawn or shut my mouth fast, it seems like it dislocates/subluxes, but doesn't ever lock. It feels like my jaw is loose or something. Is it possible the disc has "slipped" because of this popping in and out of the socket?!
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
no----the disc usually stays with the condyle
|

replied June 6th, 2008
Experienced User
maybe you can answer this - I feel a distinct 2-sound pop/crack right in front of my ears (in the ear canal too) when I close my jaw - it also deviates to this side when closing.... no opening click or pop. Kind of grinding... is this a click or crepitus, and what does it indicate - it's loud! Thanks....
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
probably just scar tissue moving around--i have the same thing
|

replied June 6th, 2008
Experienced User
scar tissue? I thought perhaps the disc is displaced - lots of deviation and pain under the jaw and in front of the ears and temples as well.
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
you can have that without disc displacement---have you been into a doctor yet???
|
Tags: symptoms, asleep, TMJ
Quick Reply