Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Itchy skin In shower !!!

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
Hey guys

for the last couple of years ive suffered some majorrr itching!!!

started off round the inside of my arm joint (otherside of elbow) and has spread to the tops of my arms, back, sides, and legs!!!!

ive noticed when im in the shower or bath i get red patches all over my body that become VERYYYYYYYY itchy, and also ive started to notice now when im layed in bed my back becomes itchy and i get red patches there to... not to sure what it could be, i use perfume free soaps and washin powders, and i change the sheets of my bed regularly...

its really becoming unbearable, its not to bad through the summer (but then i suffer reallly bad with hayfever which is just has bad lol) but as soon as winter comes i itch really badly... the doctors prescribed me a few different creams but theres only one that ive noticed stops the itching to an extent : "Hydrocortisone"

just wondered if anybody else suffers anything else like this or if anybody has any ideas as to what it is!

its only been the last 2 years at the most ive suffered with this, and im now 19!

thankss in advance
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Acidplant
|

replied December 8th, 2008
thinking it could be Cholinergic urticaria.....
|

replied December 21st, 2008
Do those itchy spots look like a rash when you're not in the shower? My aunt has excema, which really dries out her skin and leaves ashy patches all over the place. She's itchy constantly and has to apply lotion all time otherwise her skin could split open.

Most people suffer from dry skin in the wintertime, especially if they live in an area with low humidity. Since you're itchy all the time though and the creams you're using don't really seem to help, I'd see a doctor about that.
|

replied June 12th, 2009
i have the same issue though the red patches don't last on me. It started on my back, between my shoulder blades, and had since moved to my entire upper body, arms, and occasionally feet. I thought it was something in my water but when i wash my hands or brush my teeth in the same water nothing happens. I was never sure if it was an allergic reaction or dry skin. For me it started a couple months ago, in winter, and hasn't stopped. i'm not sure if i should go to the doctors or not.
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
I know this sounds weird...but I had a friend years ago who got hives every time she was in water: showers, swimming, etc. She went to an allergist and he told her to limit her contact with water because she had developed an allergy to it!
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2009
Supporter
My son is allergic to the chlorine in the water. Also, sometimes allergies to other foods, etc. will cause an outbreak or rash when you get wet. Make sure it's not the laundry detergent you're using on your clothing and towels. All, Free and Clear is really good for people with allergies.
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
Just as an added note...my friend (mentioned in an earlier post) actually got hives swimming in the ocean, too. so I guess sometimes its just water! Wendyrs, I use "All Free & Clear" too - it's the best!
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2009
Supporter
When my son was a toddler he became lactaid tolerant but it would only show up when he got into the bathtub or the ocean. It was weird. His stomach would get big like a bowling ball and his genitals would swell. I took him right to the pediatrician and that is when we discovered that he was allergic to milk but it only showed its head when he got wet. Now he tells me he is allergic to chlorine and only swims in a salt water pool and the ocean.
|

replied October 23rd, 2010
Itch relief
I suffered with intense itching after showering or exercising until I discussed the symptoms with my physician. He suggested Singulair 10mg once daily (prescription required in the US). By day three of taking the Singulair, the itching was totally gone!! As long as I take the Singulair, I can shower without the fear and pain of the itching. Good luck.
|

replied December 9th, 2010
I've been suffering for a few years and nothing helped.
I start to itch after I get out of the shower and start dressing. It's usually my arms. It lasts 20-30 min. It is driving me mad.

My allergist told me that the itching is not an allergy like I thought... (no wonder it didn't respond to antihistimines)... It's called Brachioradial Pruritus.

It isn't a cure, but it does make me feel better to be pointed in the right direction, finally.

I have had problems with deteriorated discs in neck so this would hit home for me. There are other causes too.
MollyO
|

replied December 22nd, 2010
My brother use to have lot of coffee about 6-7 cups a day.One day he had red bumps at his back and used to face intense itching.We had tried all the medicines he didn't got relief.He stopped having coffee and now he is completely fine.
|

replied January 22nd, 2011
Itching after a shower
MollyO, I have the exact same symptoms. You indicated it might have something to do with the deterioration of a disk in your neck. Can you explain. I have one going out as we speak.

Coryclown
|

replied January 25th, 2011
allergic to water
I am the same as zquest8's friend. Ever since I was 18 (now 31), I come out of the shower, beach or pool and have rashes all over my back, stomach and arms. It is really itchy and in the middle of the rash it looks like little mosquito bites. It goes down in about 30 mins. The shower reaction is the worst, the beach and pool are only slight reactions. I was told years ago that I was allergic to water and he said there is nothing you can do - completely harmless, just a bit annoying.
|

replied May 27th, 2013
how to rid of red itchy spots/rash bite like bumpfrom hot shower
Buy yourself some " anti dandruff " shampoo and wash your body with it. It sounds silly but it works. I used to get red itchy small rashes with a little bite like looking lump in the middle of each one only on my stomach after hot showers.. for years. One day I ran out of soap and decided to wash myself with my shampoo Anti dandruff... the next day I had a shower and to my amazement..no itchy red rash spots!!! Gone
Just like that.
|

replied August 4th, 2013
I have the same illness too, I got this when I had the German measles I guess its like a side effect, anyway I had this since I was 8 years old and I'm 18 now so basically I've been suffering from this illness for 10 years now. Unlike you I don't get red patches on the skin, they just appear when I take baths(Especially if I use cold water).
|