Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Itchy skin and scalp - type 2 diabetes

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
User Profile
Hi I\'m 50 y/o and my skin has really been itchy and my scalp as well. Yes I\'m a type 2 diabete. Is there anything I can do?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2010
Diabetes Answer A17388
Hello, and thank you for your medical question on e Health Forum.
To begin with, you need to verify the reason behind your skin and scalp itching. The exact cause will be known better with a complete additional history as well as physical examination.
The possible causes for skin itching include allergy to external or internal stimuli, reactions to medications, and many more. It could also be a simple case of seasonal dry skin, not requiring any medication. Use of skin moisturizers can help you in this case.
The scalp itching if associated white flakes, could be due to Dandruff which causes the scalp skin to become dry, flaky and very itchy. However, scratching your scalp, might further worsen the itching. Dandruff can be treated with special, medicated shampoos. You must maintain a certain level of hygiene and you must shampoo regularly.
You might consider to consult a dermatologist who can diagnose your exact condition and recommend treatment accordingly.
I hope you find this helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.