Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

itchy Lichen Sclerosus : Shrinking labia minora

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
If you, like me are diagnosed or suspect vulvar lichen sclerosus and your inner lips had gotten smaller, did they return to normal after treatment?
Yes, I have/had vulvar lichen sclerosus as well as labia minor shrinking which returned to normal after treatment
Yes, I have/had vulvar lichen sclerosus as well as labia minor shrinking which was NOT reversed after treatment
Yes I have/had vulvar lichen sclerosus, but my inner lips/clitoral hood have not gotten smaller
33%  33%  [ 1 ]
66%  66%  [ 2 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3
Hello everyone.

I have vulvar lichen sclerosus. I am an unusal case I guess, because I am a young woman. I am an otherwise completely healthy 23 year old - no other health problems, not even overweight/underweight.

The affected area is symmetrical and pale. Very itchy. Tears during sex and scratching. I am waiting for my prescription of temovate (steroid cream to arrive in the mail).

I just noticed this morning that my labia minora are noticeably smaller. They used to be nice and plump - not huge, but definitely nice and healthy/meaty. Now they are shriveling away it seems!

My question is, for those of you treated with lichen sclerosus who also experienced shrinking labia minora/clitoral hood, does treatment with steroid ointment resolve this? I know it resolves the itchy pale skin, but can it make your labia minora lips and clitoral hood look healthy and plump again? or is this not reversible?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper beentheredonethat4
|

replied June 11th, 2010
Did you ever find an answer to this? Were you able to get it back healthy and plump again?
|

replied June 11th, 2010
The steroid cream helped the itching tremendously. But my biopsy came back negative. It turns out I had a yeast infection and the nurse practitioner said she thought I had probably had it for years. I had no yeast infection symptoms except for itching over the last few months. She was baffled and said she had never seen a yeast infection like it. The yeast, having had the infection for so long, caused poor skin integrity attributing to the paleness and easy tearing of the skin as well as the shriveled appearance. It was like pseudo-lichen sclerosus! Not really lichen sclerosus, just having all the symptoms of it.

I was treated with an antifungal vaginal cream and the infection cleared right up, no more itching!
|

replied June 16th, 2010
Thanks for the reply! Glad you got good news back:) Wish I was in the same boat as you, but unfortunately I wasn't so lucky....Sad Mine came back positive...and I'm only 24 too.
|

replied September 27th, 2010
the plumpness did return for me. The size of the labia is smaller but did return some. the clitorial hood returned to normal after much PT work. That is so very important as it will fuse with the rest of the tissue around it. I followed a strict regimen and have great results thus far. Best of luck to you... If you have not read Dr, Goldsteins books it is so worth it!
|

replied January 23rd, 2013
I know your post is from almost 3 years ago, but can u tell what regimen you rolled & the name of the book please?
|