Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Celiac Disease Forum

Itchy hands/feet but no rash

Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....
I was recently told that I have celiacs disease, lactose intolerant and need to stay away from nuts and soy. . I have been gluten free for about a month now. Still learning. I have suffered from hives and "odd" rashes my whole life. Dr.'s have told me that they cannot figure out what has caused them. Two years ago I was told that I have hashimodos disorder and dermatigraphism. My left foot at times will itch and get scaley. I have been tested for a lot of things to explain this and each test comes out negative. Recently i noticed that if I make a mistake and ingest even a small amount of gluten my feet and palms will begin to burn, itch, and tingle. They also feel very warm/hot and swollen. Especially my hands, it will begin to feel as if outstretching my fingers causes the skin to pull tight on my hands.
Does anyone else experience this? Help please. The itching is severe and lacks any rash although my hands and feet look a little read.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Debraapples
|

replied May 10th, 2012
Re: Itchy hands/feet but no rash
Shortyanne wrote:
I was recently told that I have celiacs disease, lactose intolerant and need to stay away from nuts and soy. . I have been gluten free for about a month now. Still learning. I have suffered from hives and "odd" rashes my whole life. Dr.'s have told me that they cannot figure out what has caused them. Two years ago I was told that I have hashimodos disorder and dermatigraphism. My left foot at times will itch and get scaley. I have been tested for a lot of things to explain this and each test comes out negative. Recently i noticed that if I make a mistake and ingest even a small amount of gluten my feet and palms will begin to burn, itch, and tingle. They also feel very warm/hot and swollen. Especially my hands, it will begin to feel as if outstretching my fingers causes the skin to pull tight on my hands.
Does anyone else experience this? Help please. The itching is severe and lacks any rash although my hands and feet look a little read.
|

replied July 8th, 2012
I have had celiac for 10 years and you have to elimnate ANY wheat from your diet. Read every label before you use it. including --toothpaste, medications, ice cream, shampoos - lotions....EVERYTHING you use in and on your body. Celiac is a precurser to Lupus which can cause rash and itching.
|

replied July 8th, 2012
I have had celiac for 10 years and you have to elimnate ANY wheat from your diet. Read every label before you use it. including --toothpaste, medications, ice cream, shampoos - lotions....EVERYTHING you use in and on your body. Celiac is a precurser to Lupus which can cause rash and itching.
|

replied February 22nd, 2013
Hi, I have similar burning ittching, hot, tight skin, but not diagnosed with celiacs. Here's my experience:

Just to let you know I've had horrendous itching in fingers and toes - coming from inside, not atopic like contact dermatitis or eczema or anything - for a few years now and was desperately looking for a cure, and I believe I've found it. My cure seems to be sugar! i.e. avoiding it completely. I also had huge splits on the skin of my fingers which have almost completely healed after just 10 days sugar-free.

It's early days so experimenting if have to cut absolutely all sources of sugar or not (e.g. I've had a small amount of fruit). But in the last 10 days I've had absolutely no itching at all!!!!!! Just a little hotness and swelling in the fingers when I eat. I'm trying to stick to eating a lot of proteins (although I don't digest them well so still have to have carbs), but I find any carbs will set my hands off swelling, getting really hot, skin getting tight and cracking again. But this is improving every day.

I always suspected sugar was the cause (I've been a sugar overeater for >50 years!) but couldn't understand why exercise would set it off too, and so thought it might be more complicated than just one food item. That was a red herring tho, cos exercise merely releases sugar into blood stream from stores in body, e.g. from liver - more research needed by me - but I’m so excited wanted to come back onto forums to tell people! And importantly see if it helps any one else.

Also apparently starvation (I used to go long periods in the day without eating so I could eat more at night) and possibly gall stones - again more research needed - causes the liver to kick out bile salts into blood stream which get into the skin and cause terrible itching.

So avoid all added sugar (even in prepack meals) and cut back on any other sources - e.g. honey, fruit, etc - also dairy acts a bit like sugar in body, so cut milk n' cheese too - just for a while to see if it works for you. (Eggs n' butter are fine though.)

I found choc was SO difficult to give up! but it's been 10 days now - yay!!! I could of course have 100% cocoa as a sub to get over cravings but gone cold turkey. So worth doing and long may it continue! Let me know of your experiences if you can. Do you eat a lot of sugar? If you cut it out, does it work for you too?

PS I too have bad circulation in hands and feet, v. low blood pressure, so don't know if that's relevant too.
|

replied February 22nd, 2013
Cure for hot, swollen, sore+horrendous itching fingers and toes
Hi,
Just to let you know I've had horrendous itching in fingers and toes - coming from inside, not atopic like contact dermatitis or eczema or anything - for a few years now (in fact one of the first ever symptoms was like a red bump coming from inside on toes then fingers, under my skin, v, painful and sore) and was desperately looking for a cure, and I believe I've found it. My cure seems to be sugar! i.e. avoiding it completely. I also had huge splits on the skin of my fingers which have almost completely healed after just 10 days sugar-free.

It's early days so experimenting if have to cut absolutely all sources of sugar or not (e.g. I've had a small amount of fruit). But in the last 10 days I've had absolutely no itching at all!!!!!! Just a little hotness and swelling in the fingers when I eat which dies down after 2h max. I'm trying to stick to eating a lot of proteins (although I don't digest them well so still have to have carbs), as I find any carbs will set my hands off with swelling, getting really hot, skin getting tight and cracking again. But this is improving every day.

I always suspected sugar was the cause (I've been a sugar overeater for >50 years!) but couldn't understand why exercise would set it off too, and so thought it might be more complicated than just one food item. That was a red herring tho, cos exercise merely releases sugar into blood stream from stores in body, e.g. from liver - more research needed by me - but I’m so excited wanted to too.

Also apparently starvation (I used to go long periods in the day without eating so I could eat more at night) and possibly gall stones - again more research needed - causes the liver to kick out bile salts into blood stream which get into the skin and cause terrible itching.

So avoid all added sugar (even in prepack meals) and cut back on any other sources - e.g. honey, fruit, etc - also dairy acts a bit like sugar in body, so cut milk n' cheese too - just for a while to see if it works for you. (Eggs n' butter are fine though.) Also wine, any alcohol would set me off too - has a sugar effect in body.

I found choc was SO difficult to give up! but it's been 10 days now - yay!!! I could of course have 100% cocoa as a sub to get over cravings but gone cold turkey. SO worth doing and long may it continue! Let me know of your experiences if you can. Do you eat a lot of sugar? If you cut it out, does it work for you too?

PS I too have bad circulation in hands and feet, v. low blood pressure, so don't know if that's relevant too.
|

replied September 11th, 2013
itchy scaly feet
Shortyanne May 10th, 2012: the reason for your itchy scaly foot is psoriasis. No one could tell me what is was either and after months and months of researching found out what it is. It is an auto-immune disease where your body thinks it is injured in any particular place (only my right foot suffers from it right now) with no right nor reason. Mine was brought about by stress, not a surprise as I also have eczema and used to get migraines...that is just how I exhibit stress...I need to learn to yell. Zinc pyrithione spray works very well for me and I recently added colloidal magnesium. I had always taken pill form magnesium but it just was not being assimilated in my body. since vitamin B Complex is also known as stress tabs you should take 1 every morning, 50 mg, not mcg. Keep your skin as lubricated as you can, it is a constant battle and no cure.
|