Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

itchy bumps/blisters are surrounded by a red ring?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
About a week ago I woke up with small red ITCHY bumps on my right hand & forearm. Of course I scratched them and as I did the bump turned into a tiny blood filled blister and once popped released a clear fluid as well as a small amount of blood. Some of these tiny bumps/blisters appear two by two almost like a fang bite or spider bite the others are random "bites". These bumps/blister have since appeared on my Left hand, left arm, right leg and both feet, my neck, my ear, & my forehead. First thought, Bed Bugs, however there is NO trace whatsoever of such a creature, 2nd thought Fleas, however NOONE else in my house has been biten, including the animals. Some of the bumps/blisters dont seem to have a penetration mark yet others clearly do, all the bumps/blisters are surrounded by a red ring. I am so confused and have researched myself into craziness. PLEASE help. I have since stopped scratching in hopes this will clear up on its own, but the itch is driving me MAD!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2012
Skin Answer A30123
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. There are 3-4 possibilities which I can think of in view of the symptoms described you. The first possibility is scabies. It is caused by a mite and the lesions are small red extrememly itchy bumps and they typically occur on the hands, feet & elbows. Permethrin & lindane are used for the treatment but this should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist.

Contact dermatitis can also present with similar symptoms. The treatment consists of avoiding the culprit irritant. Using the steroid cream does help. Viral infection is another possibility which can have a similar presentation. Please do consult a dermatologist for the confirmation of the diagnosis as it is not possible to diagnose online.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.