Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Itchy belly button

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I am an overwieght male. I have had an itchy belly button for years and tried everything to get it to go away. It is not red or anything on the inside and I have cleaned it very very very well, buying special soaps. Can you help me?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2009
Intestinal Disorders Answer A6405
Is it possible that you are overdoing it with your belly button hygiene and causing chronic skin irritation? I would recommend that you look at all soaps, lotions, detergents, or other topical products that you might be using (both on your skin and in your clothes washing machine and dryer) to see if any of these products might be causing a hypersensitivity reaction. Also, you should have your doctor carefully look at your umbilicus to see if there is any evidence of any skin lesions that might explain your symptoms.

Also, rarely, a persistent remnant of a fetal structure, the urachus, can sometimes persist inside the lower abdomen, and can open into the base of the umbilicus. This urachal remnant, when present, can sometimes cause itching, inflammation, and even infection (and, very rarely, even cancer). Although not likely to be the case with your belly button itching problem, it is something that should at least be considered if no other explanation for your symptoms can be found.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Intestinal Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.