Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

itching started when i was around 7 has not stopped...16 now

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
hi im 16 and the inner labia (lips) of my vagina itch really bad! like so bad sometimes i cant stop scratching till i rip them open and they bleed... i have had protected sex with 2 guys. but the itching started back when i was around 7 and it has not stopped... ive tried these yeast balancing pills they helped a little but not a lot. because my mom said i use to get yeast infections A LOT when i was little.. but i really dont know what to do and i hate that everyday i cant just go somewhere without being itchy! what can i do?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2012
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A36030
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Vaginal itching can be due to causes like infection, dryness due to hormonal insufficiency, chemical irritation, allergic reaction to seminal fluid protein (if you are sexually active), changes in vaginal pH, skin conditions, etc. Visit your doctor/gynecologist for examination and vaginal swab/smear test (done on the discharge) to identify the causative agent. Get started on treatment as appropriate (based on examination and investigations results) to help you control the symptoms. Consider requesting for prescription of a Probiotic (to be used after you finish with taking the other medications) to restore the normal vaginal flora to minimize re-infection/repeat infections. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle. Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid use of tight fitting clothes. Avoid sweat accumulation in the area. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, it is important to get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection, and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.