Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Itching skin part of alcohol withdrawal? (Page 1)

I have been drinking very heavily for the last 4 months : at least 6 - 13 standard shots of gin almost every day. Sometimes more. Things just escalated and got out of hand. I was also smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, and usually finishing the night off with a couple of Tylenol with Codeine (8mg). I realize that I am probably lucky to still be alive.

I have stopped all the bad habits - no intention of going back to that place - but have a question about the detox process.

I am on day 6 and things have not been too bad, except for a little fatigue and insomnia and bad dreams which I understand is normal in this situation. I can get through this. But it is the onset of hypersensitive skin that is driving me nuts! Itchy skin that feels as if bugs are crawling over me at times. NO, I don't see them! Smile Is this part of the detox - does anyone else know of this experience? And how long do you think this could last!

I have had blood work done, and by some miracle everything shows up within range!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Rick1960
|

replied January 14th, 2010
itchy skin
I don't know if you have had any responses to your question yet, but I have been through detox several times and each time that I do I experience the exact same thing you are talking about. It drives me nuts because I can't sit still or lie still long enough to sleep. I have asked doctors, nurses, other alcoholics, but no one seems to have a real answer. Some have told me it has to do with the central nervous system reactivating itself (since it has been numbed by the alcohol for so long) and firing off nerve endings throughout the body. This kind of makes sense to me because I feel it a lot in my head too. I have tried taking warm baths with epsom salts like one doctor told me but that almost made me more irritated.
Anyways, nothing has worked for me thus far but I do know what you are talking about. If you have gotten any info that worked for u please share it with me please!
|
Users who thank katiec55 for this post: winddancer 

replied July 31st, 2011
I am so glad that I am not the only one who is going through this. I stopped drinking 2 1/2 months ago. Within a week I started having this itching feeling. It really only bothers me when I am trying to sleep or relax. Right now I am awake typing this because I can not sit still in bed and go to sleep. I didn't think this would last so long. Is there anything that anyone has found out that can explain this or help it go away. No one I have talked with about this knows what I am talking about.
I can't stand this but I don't plan on drinking again.
Thanks,
|

replied November 18th, 2011
I have been alcohol free for 2 months and I also have got the itching it stopped for a week and started again , it is not stopping me sleeping anymore but it's still there when relaxed , of I'm busy it goes , will this ever go away I'm worried it's something serious ?
|

replied March 12th, 2012
laurajl
Hello,

Now,I know a few things about heavy drinking. Your nerves are "shot" and your bodies nervous system is adapting to change. I am going through this now, I simply know what is going on because I used to be a drug/alcohol counselor, cute, huh? lol. But this is not funny and is very miserable. If you can take a minor tranquilizer (I am not suggesting we get addicted to this also), it will help your nerves in the next six months to a year. This is purely (the itching)miserable. Have you found anything out since you posted this that you can share with me?
|

replied March 12th, 2012
Vitamins can help.
Vitamin B will help your nerves heal. And hot baths will help detox faster. Also lots of vitamin C will help detox your blood. B and C are water soluble vitamins so you can hardly overdose. When you're drinking heavily, coffee too, it strips water soluble vitamins from your system and without the B especially your nerves pay the price. Think thousands of milligrams for awhile till you're healed up. These vitamins also help when quitting smoking...: )
|
Users who thank Flidhais for this post: Kaateyes  stoadd 

replied March 12th, 2012
Hello,

I have the same situation. When you stop drinking and have been a "heavy drinker" like I have been, your central nervous system is "worn" out and shot. A mild tranquilizer will help this, but then you take the chance of getting addicted to something else. Alcohol is the worst, however. Benedryl can help out also. Let me know if you have any suggestions, I am going through the same thing you are going through.
klczyk
|

replied December 7th, 2012
did you find the answer to this ? please help!!!
|

replied December 6th, 2011
a brief course of mild dosage cortisone will reset connections w/ your surface skin receptors
|

replied April 21st, 2012
Alcohol and itching
All I can say is per my experiance, there is nothing you can do but wait out the detox. It seems it may vary depending on how much and how often you consume alcohol. I am usually miserable for at least two full days. The only way it will go unnoticed is if I'm drinking. This has prompted me to quit because I don't want to be a full time alcoholic. I have also had episodes so bad, I broke out with psoriasis all over. That lasted for months.
|

replied October 31st, 2012
itching skin after alcohol withdrawal
I have the same issue and what helped me was Selsun Blue shampoo. I do my normal shower, then at the end I turn off the water, soap up my hair with Selsun Blue and then use the excess lather over my body, wait a few minutes then rinse off. It lasts for about a half day til I have to repeat. Something in it dulls the itching in the skin. I almost ripped my head off and skin off.
Works for me. Also, things with Eucalyptus in them help, like lotions and powders, but you end up stinking like Ben gay.
|

Benedryl this is the only thing that helps until your body heals.
|

replied February 15th, 2013
wow i am so glad i finally came to find out that it is from not drinking anymore
i knew it was all along but i had never heard anyone relate.
as you said its usually when im trying to sleep or relax ive been drinking heavily 12 to 20 beers aday for the last 3 or four years with maybe two or three very short breaks ( 3 or for days) and even on days i didnt have my normal amount of beers , once id fall asleep i would wake up to the itching and that was it ,no sleep for me that night.
well im done drinking and this is my 7th day but the weird itching is stil here , i never sleep. maybe two hours restless dozing. how long does this last? im going nuts! you said it had been 2 months and still had it! this is making it very hard for me to not drink
|

replied February 15th, 2013
wow i am so glad i finally came to find out that it is from not drinking anymore
i knew it was all along but i had never heard anyone relate.
as you said its usually when im trying to sleep or relax ive been drinking heavily 12 to 20 beers aday for the last 3 or four years with maybe two or three very short breaks ( 3 or for days) and even on days i didnt have my normal amount of beers , once id fall asleep i would wake up to the itching and that was it ,no sleep for me that night.
well im done drinking and this is my 7th day but the weird itching is stil here , i never sleep. maybe two hours restless dozing. how long does this last? im going nuts! you said it had been 2 months and still had it! this is making it very hard for me to not drink
|

replied February 27th, 2013
Glad I found this forum it confirmed for me it is the alcohol. I am not detoxing at the moment. I drink 4-6 shots of tequilla a night mixed with juice. Also for the past two nights I drank 24 oz or more of water with the alcohol. however For the past two nights I consumed no more than 3-4 shots. wake up to itchy forearms and upper arms. last night my legs were itching too. This has never happened before. I wont drink for the next several nights and see what happens, if it stops I quit drinking. This itching is not topical it is coming from under my skin.
|

replied September 20th, 2011
Itching
I have also been a heavy alcoholic for many years and when i stop i have the itching but only at the top of my forearms! So bad i scratch it so hard they bleed and create sores! Ive tried ointment and sprays and nothing works. Its like its under the skin! any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
|

replied September 21st, 2011
Itching during detox
Itching is part of detoxing. I have found that going to a steam room for a few days in a row or using an Infrared sauna helps a lot. Even heavy exercising, anything that makes you sweat out the toxins. To help with the itching before bed, try taking a benadryl. Lessens the itching and helps you get some sleep.
|

a mild course of oral cortizone will help you reset this sensation
|

replied January 14th, 2012
Try aquaphor healing cream
|

replied April 21st, 2012
Aquaphor is merely a topical ointment and will not help because the problem lies beneath the skin within the bloodstream.
|

replied March 12th, 2012
I hear you, my head itches also. It is purely and surely our nervous system which has been badly damaged. Benadryl can help, and if you can get a mild tranquilizer from your doctor such as zanax to take for the next six months or so, this will help. The tranquilizer will calm your nervous system, but you do not want to get addicted to them either.

klczyk
|

replied March 12th, 2012
Hello, katiec55,

I just stopped drinking and I know the itching is do to them damage in our nervous systems. I will let you know if I find something that helps.

klczyk
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
Going Mad
I was a heavy vodka drinker for about 6 months. I have been sober now for a week but I also get itchy skin. It drives me insane cause it does feel as if bugs are all over you.
I have noticed that taking a anti histamine will slow down or stop the itchiness.
The Dr. Did tell me at one point that itchy skin caused by alcohol usually means it is some how affecting your liver.
|

replied January 14th, 2010
Thanks for your response to my post. Though I am sorry you're going through this as well, it is good to know that someone else is going through this too. You're not the only one.

Since adding my post, I have had the same confirmation as you from other sources telling me it is about the nervous system reactivating.

I have also learned that this itching phenomenon is part of the body detoxifying process and that the skin is viewed as an organ that tries to eliminate the toxins from the alcohol abuse jsut as much as the liver and kidneys. Hence the itching.

A naturopath has advised me to assist my body with this detoxification with a diet high in fibre and high in pro-biotics.

Since eating a higher fibre diet and adding pro-biotic supplements, I have definitely seen an improvement!

Until the various organs get back in line, this condition is something I guess we have to learn to live with until the body re-establishes its proper functions. At least there is an end in sight eventually, though I have no idea how long this is going to go on for. I have actually noticed an easing off so far.

The tempatation, of course, is to have a drink and get a good nights sleep for once - but this just postpones the recovery.

Hang in there!

One last thing - about the baths with warm Epsom salts. This has been a bad idea for me, because it simply dries out your skin, and the drier your skin, the more it's going to accentuate the itching. I use a very mild soap for sensitive skin, make sure the shower is not too hot and apply a non-toxic moisturizer immediately afterwards. At first my skin reacted to the moisturiser and I thought I was going to go crazy, but after a few days - there was an improvement.

Hope this helps - I would be happy to hear about your progress!

Good luck!
|

replied June 24th, 2010
I kind of feel a bit of a connection with you guys. I don't. Dri k heavily at all, I tend to have a few drinks at the odd party here nd there. I get a similar irritating feeling to what your describing but rather than being after a prolonged period of drinking I get it about an hour after I've stopped drinking. Tonight I've drunk 3 jagerbombs whilst sitting with my family and right now my neck is burning, the back of my head and the lower part of my back feel like I've been attacked or something. It really worried me when it started doing this, kinda concerned that it might be my kidneys but I don't drink anywhere neer enough to cause myself any real damage. Its driving me crazy though, I can't sleep and I feel an almost burning sensation on my skin when I rub against the bed sheets. Starting to think that I'm probably better off just avoiding alcohol all together haha.
|

replied September 11th, 2011
You may be sensitive to sulfites. This happens to me when I drink many wines and certain hard alcohol but it also will occur if I eat too much of anything with sulfites like some pre packaged lunch meat. Try to eliminate sulfites from your diet and see if it improves.
|

replied September 11th, 2011
You may be sensitive to sulfites. This happens to me when I drink many wines and certain hard alcohol but it also will occur if I eat too much of anything with sulfites like some pre packaged lunch meat. Try to eliminate sulfites from your diet and see if it improves.
|

replied July 27th, 2012
Kidneys effected?
A standard blood test will confirm whether your kidney and other functions are normal or not I believe.
|

replied June 30th, 2010
Hi guys,

I have the same experience although it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. Last week I stopped for 5 days and everything was good, some headaches but all in all okay. I started taking Sleep-eze it took 2 or 3 just to get that sleepy feeling. Then I drank on the weekend... dun dun dah! I stopped again Saturday night. I took a intense bike ride on Sunday and and whoa did I sweat! That night the itchies came. And this strange detox oil(I call it) was all over my skin. Everywhere this oil was I was scratching maddeningly.

My remedy... cold showers with head and shoulders shampoo as soap.

Hope that helps and stick with it. I try to tackle it everyday and tell myself that it will only delay the process if I drink for 1 night. Only alcoholics know this. Problem is everyone around still has a drink or 2 and I can't... no way! I'll be tossing back a 26'er that evening even if I just have 1 beer. Sucks eh?
|

replied July 9th, 2010
I have also experienced this. That is the only reason I never quit drinking. At first I thought it was something to do with not enough of some certain vitamin. Now I realize that it has to do with alcohol. I will have to get that under control. Does anyone know how long this would last??
|

replied August 31st, 2011
itching
rub in hydrocortisone cream to the affected area- it worked for me
|

I am not a doctor but in my experience a brief course of mild dosage oral cortisone will reset connections w/ your surface skin receptors
|

replied September 5th, 2010
The body fixes itself amazingly quickly-especially the liver, but mine, due to the itching now, is just letting me know Im cutting down-NEVER STOP IMMEDIATLY. I've tried that once before and had a seizure-something I dont want to ever experience again. Its more dangerous to come off alcohol than it is heroin. I know this sounds extreme but google it if you dont believe!The itching will go away, but it depends on how your handling your intake as to how long it'll take to go away. Im trying cutting down by half per week. Thanks for everyone on this page!!! We are not alone. It feels like a lonely place, but its not if we look for others-and we dont have to look far! At least we know we've got it (alcoholism) and want to do something about it. Best of luck to all of you. xxxx
|

replied June 11th, 2012
Hello,
I read all the post on this page and really could relate with everyone, main your case. I came off alcohol once, and had a seizer while driving my car. I put my life in danger, and when i woke up i found that i drove right into the living room of some people. I thought this would have tought me lesson but i continue to drink, only in the eavening, and restrain from hard alcohol.

When i see my body has depended on alcohol, i also reduce slowely. After my seizer, all my muscels hurt badly, i couldnt lift my legs to wear pants alone, and this lasted for almost a week. I beg god everyday that never happenes to anyone, it truely the worst. Im only 27 and healy addicted to alcohol. Im sobber today and thank you for sharing your experience, it was truely helpful to me.

Best of luck

Ohh and a side note: i went to therapy and counsiling, saw that my alcoholism is related to a long periodic issue in the past i have denied all my life, but once an alcoholic i will never be able to drink moderately and was suggested to stop completely. Its too life chaning for me, but if u seak help it might just work for u!
|

after 40 years of drinking I've started going to AA my life has change for the better. I wish I would have done this 20 years or so ago. I would have safe a lot of grieve
and perhaps I would have not lost my family!!!
As far as the itching it lasted about 4 months. Benedryl does help... but drink lots o water at least 8 glass a day minimum.
|

replied September 5th, 2010
Hello,
YOU R NOT ALONE!!! This has just happened to me and I actually thought I had scabies. I asked my fellow AA members and they said absolutely. I told them Ive been drinking heavily for 10 years and Ive stopped befor and this has never happened to me. They then explained to me that its cuz my tollerence was not as big as it is now. This is a bad detox and youre brain is PISSED!!! Its gonna make u crazy so crazy that you will want to take a drink to make it stop. Like the other readers said befors ween your self off. Dont ever quit cold turkey. As soon as youre weened the "bugs" will be back. Benedryl will ease the itching and so do cold showers, and the benedryl will help you sleep. Good Luck!
|

replied September 25th, 2010
itching
I am freaking out. I have upper stomach pain and I am itching like crazy. I keep thinking I have cirrhosis but had an ultrasound and bloodwork and both are perfect. I also had a biposy siz months ago and it was perfect. I thought itching had to do with cirrhosis. I have no other symptoms besides the liver pain. Has anyone else had this.
|

replied June 3rd, 2011
Yes, these exact symptoms!! Did you ever find a cause?
|

replied September 28th, 2010
I actually started drinking more heavily BECAUSE of itching. I bought an iPod, and the computer was slow importing my CDs. I was so anxious about the itching I couldn't sit down; some nights I'd work for 6-7 hours on the imports without sitting; my legs ached tremendously, of course.

Anyway, there was liquour in the basement right next to my computer (I live with my parents, anxiety IS my life, diagnosed with OCD). I found it took the edge off, and often helped me sit down. It numbed my skin in some way, as it still does. That started the pattern. Soon I drank to help when I was doing other things, especially things involving sitting like driving or bike riding. It became a coping mechanism, or, in OCD terms, a ritual.

Because of OCD, I was already extremely skin-sensitive, and when I sit I feel EVERYTHING. Alcohol physically numbs the skin and nerves, of course, but I suppose it also reduced my anxiety about the sensations I still did feel. But the habit begot an even larger habit, and you can take it from there.

I'm troubled, though, by the fact that I never drank to combat itching before. However, I'm told I may also have PTSD: my brother was killed by a texting cop 2 years ago here in the Detroit area. My anxiety was affected in addition to the usual issues of grief-related depression. Before the iPod episodes, maybe six weeks after John died, I started going to watch my friend's bowling team. Because I was sitting for hours at a time, I think I drank more than I normally would. I'd have had beer anyway, but I'd probably have been much more responsible. I didn't want to order the high-priced single bottles, so I'd get myself a pitcher and it would last the night. But like with the iPod thing months later, the initial habit became entrenched.

This problem is like a cancer that has metasticized, and living with my parents, sometimes my conflicts with them drive me to drink because the anxiety, which makes the itching worse....and round and round and round.

Sorry this is so long, but this is my first post, and if I didn't live with my parents I could probably resist the temptation to drink and endure as many bad days as I had to in order for my system to adjust. And God knows I need to return to pschyotherapy. But there's also a family party, or someone wants to get together, or won't you come have dinner with your sister and nephews and bro-in-law, and sometimes you think some extra drinking is all that'll get you through.

Today I hit rock bottom: my mother asked for my car keys, and I recently started seeing someone. HELP!
|

replied October 6th, 2010
Alcohol and itching
I too am going through the itching process. I have been through detox 3 times. It is no fun at all. Makes me wonder just how much alcohol can be an alergy as well as a crutch. UGH!!
|

replied November 4th, 2010
Itchy skin
I to have detoxed 3 times and it sucks!! But I've only ever had the itchy for about 2-3 days. The worst part is not being able to f'ing sleep. I haven't slept in about 48 hours now and don't forsee any shut eye til probably friday. I also have the sensation of my skin being super sensative and it feels like i'm being bitten bugs. I hate alcohol!!!

Not being able to sleep is the absolute worst.

Good Luck Ya'll
|

replied November 4th, 2010
Itchy skin
I to have detoxed 3 times and it sucks!! But I've only ever had the itchy for about 2-3 days. The worst part is not being able to f'ing sleep. I haven't slept in about 48 hours now and don't forsee any shut eye til probably friday. I also have the sensation of my skin being super sensative and it feels like i'm being bitten bugs. I hate alcohol!!!

Not being able to sleep is the absolute worst.

Good Luck Ya'll
|

replied July 27th, 2012
I agree, itching and inability to sleep. My problem is complicated by the fact that I stopped drinking for a week (yes, I was itchy) than started again, had 35 drinks in 5 days and itchy again even though I keep drinking! Further complicated by a few insect (mosquito) bites on my body so scratching for multiple reasons! Plus I have a couple allergies so who knows sometimes!! Plus I have stress of being unemployed and money troubles! So there you go, thoughts anyone?
|

replied November 8th, 2010
Omg ... The itching is crazy !! I haven't had
A beer in 3 weeks and the itching started
About 5 days ago .. Mine is like a rash or
Pimples on my arms and a few on my legs
Then my head itches .. And my chest ... I was
Going to try the ebson salt bath also , but
I saw the post that said it made it worse ..
Tomorrow benadril and pro biotics .. Let you
Know how that works ... This sucks .. Why did
It not happen sooner ? I cold turkied the alcohol..
Prob not a good idea .... Good luck All Smile
|

replied November 8th, 2010
itch
I am experiencing this now. From your posts, you all stop a long time before experiencing this itchiness. I just drank yesterday and now it itch like crazy. Can someone give me even a advise on how long and what to do right now. Thanks pips.
|

mild dosage of oral cortizone may help
|

replied November 9th, 2010
The itching is the worst in my opinion but the insomnia is terrible too. I lay in bed doing the alligator death roll all night…(picture turning over and over with a pillow in my teeth like a gator taking a deer down in a river Wink.

I thought for a bit that the itching was from the oxycodone I was prescribed for the pain of acute pancreatitis which I was diagnosed with …likely caused by alcohol for the most part, but now I remember the last detox I did, and after reading here, the detox has to be most of it.

I simply cannot drink to relieve this, because to do so could land me in the hospital with IV’s instead of trying to fight the pancreatitis at home. I’m literally on a forced detox enforced by my own body.

Do not drink to relieve the itching (don’t drink at all if you can) or you’ll end up with a serious medical condition eventually. I speak from current experience and I am on a clear fluids diet until my pancreas gets a break…then back to introducing small amounts of stomach friendly foods until I can really eat again…it will be quite a while before I can splurge my stomach on a rack of baby back ribs and an evening of bourbon…if ever without getting sick.

I have been through this before and continued drinking heavily…now I can’t even eat solid food. We have to get through this if we want to live…and actually enjoy things like eating a great meal.

I knew this would come eventually and have justified all the alcohol over and over through the years. You think booze is expensive? Been to the hospital lately?

I just treat the insomnia as a day buzz since lack of sleep makes you nearly drunk!..just joking…it sucks.

After itching like crazy and not sleeping last night it hit me…I have Caladryl Clear and Calagel by Tech Labs in the medicine cab. They are basically external analgesics used for stuff like poison Ivy and other skin conditions. The formulas vary a bit but both help to fight itch.

I’m going to try taking a Benadryl (diphenhydramine), taking a shower using dandruff shampoo as a whole body wash, slathering myself with high quality moisturizer all over (even though I hate the stuff), taking a melatonin supplement before bed…and maybe with all of that I can get a few hours sleep!

Good luck to all

Edit: The Benadryl and the caladryl does help at least psychologically and the full body wash with dandruff shampoo plus a good slathering of moisturizer definitely helps. Put on full body clothes (knit pants and long sleeve shirt) before bed and keep a change of clothes nearby to change in to dry clothes in the middle of the night.

Let me tell you friends. Force yourself to go through this and DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL! The itching will subside in a few days then followed by massive night sweats that will improve every night. I have done this (no booze for 8 days plus now) and every night I sleep better. I fall asleep just fine without alcohol and sleep better now. I never want to go through this again and will hopefully not become a drunk ever again after 25 years of daily regular and heavy drinking.

It’s a new lease on life…you will never feel better if you just suffer through the detox then not go right back to drinking. Give it time…don’t fall back in to the same routines and stop getting smashed in the future. Enjoy a drink or two and stop…detox sucks but if you don’t do it you could end up with Pancratitis like me or any number of other potentially deadly problems. Learn to enjoy feeling healthy…I know drunk feels pretty good but it will not last forever…you will pay for it…trust me.

Someday I may be able to enjoy a pizza or a hamburger again…if I’m lucky. Maybe even a drink or two here and there if I’m blessed. Don’t screw yourself up like me…change now!

Peace
|

replied December 4th, 2010
Itching
I also experienced the intense itching, insomnia when withdrawing. I found that colloidal oatmeal baths helped alot. Also Witch Hazel applied to every itchy spot soothed it a great deal. At first I would apply it to my neck, then my shoulders would itch, on and on.. but each spot I applied the witch hazel to eased the itchies. I did not have luck with moisterizers. Along with that I took a Benydryl. Drinking to ease it only prolongs the cycle. I have tried that option too many times. I have an enlarged liver, and wonder if that contributed to the itches. Sober 3 weeks now, and things are improving already!
|

replied December 28th, 2010
This is to all who have replyed and those just get help from reading(like myself)..I know what yall are going through(and so much more) I have detox many time, it is to the point that if i have one night out im sick the next two weeks, we have trained our bodys to need alcohol,..I myself drank about 7 years,average 4 nights a week(some times 7 nights a week for weeks)and at least 8 to 10 beers plus what ever shots.. I pry for all who are reading this looking for help,.. (IF YOU HAVE A STORY, WRITE IT, IT MAY HELP SOMEONE, LIKE MANY HAVE DONE FOR ME) Good luck to you all,

"When enough is enough,that's when you know your half way there"--Tim McIlrath
|

replied December 28th, 2010
This is my first post. i've been drinking heavily for 18 years. it started with beer at college, then beer and rum at college. this continued once i got a job. Then i sought higher alcohol beers, drinking 3 steel reserves a night, which is the equivalent of 12 beers. I put on 15 lbs a year over the last 5 years. I switched to vodka in the past year because i smelled like beer too much. I now drink 562ml of vodka a day, just less than an entire 750 ml bottle. i guess that's about 10-15 shots. my health has decline. it started with some weight gain, then i got gout in my feet, knees and arms in my early 30's. I was told i have a fatty liver. Just recently, i got little red dots on my torso, followed by itching - everywhere. Although i am a high-functioning person at work, i believe i have hit rock bottom with my health. I am looking to detox, and i'm investigating inpatient services, as well as detox at home. I wonder if i should ween myself off, as i'm not certain i'll have a bad withdrawal. It's pretty hard to go one day without a drink. Has anyone experienced what i have? and what did you do about it? thanks. this is a great group of people on this chat
|

replied September 5th, 2011
How I made it out!
I know that many on this site have said to ween yourself off. I have tried that way too many times and it did not work for me. Going it alone cold turkey is a very bad ideal because as one person stated you can have a sizure.
The way i stopped dirking was a very hard way indeed! My husband and I drank all the tinme, sometime two bottles of vodka a day.
One month ago to the day we were drinking and I passed out on a chair in our living room. My husband was a sleep on the couch. Later he awakened me when I heard him getting up off the couch and I called to him to wait because I was afraid he would fall. He went into the bathroom and threw up on the way {it was blood}. He turned around in the bathroom and came toward the bathroom door where I was and feel down, he was dead! I almost had a nervous breakdown. I called 911 and my parents. They took my husband and I left the house and went to my parents where I began to detox. I must have thrown up 30 times, my heart was palpetaing, I was sweating and I knew that I was dying. I begged God to help me and I prayed for hours. My brother stayed up to watch me and fianlly made me let him take to me to the emergengy room. They checked me in and for four days the hospital brought me back to live another day. I take six differant medicines to help my liver and other things. The hospital did about six differant test. It was only by the grace of God that I am alive today. I lost my soul mate and that is somthing that I can hardley think about because I would die of grief. The information on stopping the itching is very helpful. Let me know if anyone knows of any other rememdies. I am going to check with my docter when I go to see him this week.
So, go to a docter or hospital. Don't let somthing this bad happen to get you to stop drinking. God bless and good luck to all.
|

replied November 8th, 2012
Hi,
I have been drinking varying amounts most days for the past 10 years and also get the terrible itching whenever I go cold turkey. What works for me is an antihistamine. Try it. It may help stop you from reaching for the bottle to stop the itch.
ALCOHOL WRECKS LIVES. USE WITH CAUTION - Should be a health warning on the bottle.
Good luck everyone. Smile
There's so much more to life than booze. If only it would stop lying to us!
|

replied November 8th, 2012
Hi,
I have been drinking varying amounts most days for the past 10 years and also get the terrible itching whenever I go cold turkey. What works for me is an antihistamine. Try it. It may help stop you from reaching for the bottle to stop the itch.
ALCOHOL WRECKS LIVES. USE WITH CAUTION - Should be a health warning on the bottle.
Good luck everyone. Smile
There's so much more to life than booze. If only it would stop lying to us!
|

replied January 4th, 2011
@rb2011, your case is exactly similar to me. I am also drinking for more than past 10 yrs. I tried to quit many times. max "non-drinking" period was 2 months or so. every time i used "cold-turkey" method. it�s very painful for first 3-4 days. I have done all kind of tests on me, all liver scan and all. Ultimately i found that most of this "liver specialist" doctors are there to eat our money. Nobody can help us unless you yourself decide to quit.
In my case, last year I experience extreme mental illness because of alcohol. Depression. There was a time when I was thinking about suicide. But my wife, my family and phyc. doctors helped me a lot to come out of it. But no one could stop my drinking habit completely. I can go without alcohol for 1-2 months also! But after that, same story.
anyway, as every new year's resolution, I�ve stopped again, and now i could not sleep, body is itching and all. the worst part is mood disorder. But since I�ve gone thru this in the past, i am just cutting time so that it'll be better in 4-5 days.
For me, if I do not use the �cold-turkeyâ�¢½ method, I�ll never stop drinking. So this is my 3rd attempt. And I am hoping that I�ll stop completely this time.
|
Quick Reply