Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Itching, red, painful labia minora and vagina

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Hi, I'm 17 and not(nor ever have been) sexually active, but 10 days ago my boyfriend rubbed my clitoris(for the first time) and that area(pretty hard, it was uncomfortable more then half the time), and that night when I got home it started to itch a bit but not too bad, then got itchier the next day, and the day after that I started my period. I also shaved down there for the first time in a long time. Currently the whole area(clitoris, the whole labia minora, the inside of the labia majora and vagina) is almost constantly itchy and red and I havent had any discharge(unless i got it on my period and didnt see it? not sure, but i dont have any now). I've looked up these symptoms online, and I've tried apple cider baths, have been eating lots of yogurt, neither of which seem to be helping. I tried yeast infection cream, which made it itch and hurt soooooo bad! I had to try to remove it all immediately! I have also tried anti-itch cream which makes it burn, and I think swell(or just makes the swelling more obvious?). I've been taking anti-histamines and got vagisil anti itch wipes last night, the combination seems to be helping with the itching, a little bit. I dont have a doctor at the moment, im trying to find one. But im hoping this is something that will heal on its own or call me solved with over the counter medicine. Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2011
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Your symptoms are suggestive of infection. Stop self medications as you might make the infection go worse/mask the symptoms making diagnosis difficult. Visit your doctor/primary health care provider at the earliest for a thorough examination along with a vaginal swab/smear test done to identify the causative agent. Treatment as needed would be started based on examination and investigation results. Drink plenty of water and cranberry juice. Try applying Caladryl lotion to soothe the itching & redness (it does not cure, just gives symptomatic relief). Maintain good hygiene. Make sure your partner’s hands are washed with soap and water clean before attempting for foreplay.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.