Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Itching feeling on face

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
To whom it may concern,
This question is about my sister. She has type 2 diabetes and she just recently told me that she is experience an itching feeling on her face. She says that it feels like something is crawling under her skin and she wants to know two things. What is that feeling attributed to and what can she do to take care of it? Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2009
Isolated facial itching sensation could suggest involvement of the trigeminal nerve (trigeminal neuralgia). I am assuming that she doesn't have any type of itchy rash on the face that accounts for the symptoms. Also, you didn't mention if the sensation was on both sides or just one side. One-sided (unilateral) is more common in trigeminal neuralgia.

Type 2 diabetes can be associated with nerve damage (neuropathy); however, the trigeminal nerve is not a typical area involved in neuropathy. Your sister needs a check with her primary care doctor as a first step. She may very well need a neurologist to help determine the exact cause of her problem and treatment. I hope this helps.

|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2009
I have the same type of itch on both sides or my face and sometines only on the right side of my face. So, I do know what you are talking about. I ask my personal doctor that same question just last Monday morning but, I got no answer from my doctor at all. In fact she sort of shoved it off and gave me a look like I was crazy or somthing like that well, that is how I interpeted it anyways. What does it mean when you itch on both sides sometimes and only right side at other times?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.