Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

itching, and white patches on my labia minora

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Having itching, and white patches on my labia minora with a gray color discharge cand anyone tell me if this could be a yeast infection? never saw white patches with a yeast infection though.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
sweett40,

You could have a disorder called lichen sclerosus.

Lichen sclerosus is an uncommon condition that creates patchy, white skin that's thinner than normal. Lichen sclerosus may affect skin on any part of the body, but most often involves skin of the labia, vulva, foreskin of the penis, or skin around the anus.

Anyone can get lichen sclerosus, but postmenopausal women are at highest risk. Left untreated, lichen sclerosus may lead to other complications.

You may not need treatment because sometimes lichen sclerosus improves on its own. If you do need treatment, your doctor can suggest options to return a more normal appearance to your skin and decrease the tendency for scarring.

Just because you have lichen sclerosus, doesn't mean that you can't have a yeast infection too. You should see your gynecologist. Though lichen sclerosus is usually diagnosed based on the physical signs and symptoms, sometimes a biopsy is needed.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?