Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Itching after bathing (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
when i take bath with cold water or regular water then my body starts itching for 30 minutes but when i take bath with extreme hot water then i am ok. my age is 25 right now and it began at the age of 13. what should i do.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Tinto
|

replied April 26th, 2009
I experience a severe itchy on my stomach,thighs,and arms after a bath.its so severe that at times i hate bathing..its worse when its raining and i f i see filthy things..how to treat this..helg me before i tear myself
|

replied April 26th, 2009
If I was you I would see a dermatologist. Honestly I think you may just have dry skin. When someone has dry skin, soaps can cause your skin to be extremely itchy. Try some non-perfumed lotion.
|

replied May 28th, 2009
I have this too... it is maddening
EVERYONE want to tell you that you have dry skin. But my skin looks perfectly healthy in every other way, except I cannot get wet without scratching for an hour after. It does not just itch, it STINGS, makes me cry and scream. It is maddening.... The doctors do not seem to know what to do because i have not just gotten out of the bath when I go to the doctor and my skin looks fine. I have to believe it is hormonal or something...
|
Users who thank healthyskin for this post: 3b 

replied July 27th, 2009
treatment?
I have the same EXACT problem described by ZaidMKhan . My Dad has it too and all of my siblings with the exception of one has it! hmmm, is there really no treatment?? I'm thinking there's definitely a genetic component though!!
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
Itchy skin after bathing.
What I find helps a lot is Molton Brown Black Pepper Skin Lotion for me having applied to the affected areas the itching stops completely after no more than 5 minutes and is replaced with a lovely warming glow sensation alternatively try E45 Itch Cream
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
hi where can i find E45 itch cream? please i need it
|

replied August 28th, 2009
I too have the same problem from quite a few years now. As I have read about my condition it seems that homeopathic remedies might be a good fit. I would recommend Psorinum 1M for itching after bath with cold water. I am yet to try it but I have seen of great results of this med. Be well!
|

replied August 31st, 2009
AQUAGENIC PRURITIS
Just experienced the same thing... it's been on and off and i haven't really tried experimenting... do i feel itchy if i use warm water or cold, with or without soap... BUT I read an article in the net and it talks about allergic reactions to water - water allergy in short... one mentioned this medical term, AQUAGENIC PRURITIS... Anyway, try to put oil on your skin before bathing, it prevents water from entering the pores of your skin and this lessens the itchiness...
|

User Profile
replied September 27th, 2009
cholinergic pruritus?
Wow! so there's other people who've got this exact prob. it started when i was nine, and now i'm nineteen. mom says she did too, but it stopped when she grew older. but it doesn't happen when adrenaline is high and i'm possivby late for something. really HOPE to find an answer. till then, its cold water for me!
Good luck.
|

replied October 21st, 2009
I have similar problem I hate bathing time. I wish there is a solution to this itching. I experience severe itiching on my thighs and hands and usually 15 -30 minutes after bathing it does not matter whether the water is hot or cold. I have tried to change soaps or even to the extent of bathin without soap but hey the problem seem not to disapper. Please someone help to solve the problem once and for all.
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
It's probably the chlorine in your water, read my testimonial at Chlorinefreeshower.INFO
|

replied June 5th, 2010
Itching after cold or warm bath:The way out!
I have this same problem of itching after cold or warm bath since when I was between 10-13yrs old.I am in my early thirties now and still suffer from it.All those preventive counsel on hard water,change of soaps,application of all manner of oil before or after bath don't work.Belief me,you can effectively control this itching after bath through the power of your mind.It's more of a psychological problem.Try to think/concentrate more on things that will excite you and get your mind of the itching stuff after having your bath.Don't think/focus on irritating,disgusting or rubbish stuffs that you may have fed your eyes on during the day.Also avoid certain scenes in horror movies with irritating clips or medical anatomy/surgical documentaries with disturbing scenes.The list can go on and on,but the rule is for you to avoid setting your eyes on anything that might irritate you.If you are late for an appointment and you quickly took a shower and rush out of the house you will notice that you hardly have itching after bath.The reason is because you are excited or your mind is strictly focused on where you are going.Different strokes for different folks.Control the itching effect with your mind(your thoughts)and stop seeking for medical explanation cause there is none that will help you.Goodluck
|

replied December 9th, 2011
Yes that true i do suffer this problem i try all kind of mdication but it never helps i get worse wen im in the bathroom looking at the wall and start thinking of dirty staff
|

replied July 28th, 2012
yes i noticed this too,i am 22yrs old and i have had this thing for as long as i can remember.....it gets worse when i walk into my room after my bath and my nephews have messed everything up or my friends are making noise and playing some stupid video game i dont like,i seem to to behave like an insane person when its happening,gladly they all noticed and help to keep my room clean for me,greet me with interesting convos and some songs that i like after my bath surprisingly this itching stops when i feel comfortable or have to rush out to do something right after my bath,however everytime i am going to have my bath and its going to happen,i just foresee it and postpone my bath till latter,i have tried all forms of soap and oils as well but they never did work.....MY BRAIN SEEMS TO BE THE REMEDY.
|

replied July 30th, 2012
reply to Dabishop
dabishop,u're on point!
The mind controls virtually everything...name it, body temperature, hunger, etc...the man's mind's great.
|

replied July 13th, 2010
Body itching after bathing
Folks, I think I have the cure for body itching after bathing.
The monster causing this terrible itching are microbs that grow over night in our damp towels.
The growth speeds up during damp periods

once transfered to the semi-wet surface of your skin after using the towel it starts pinching and fighting for survival.

They die after some minutes.

Sun used towel or put it in the dryer before using it again or dont use towel at all if you have used it earleir and forgot to sun dry it.

The rest will be history
|

replied April 20th, 2011
Itchy skin after baths
I suffer from the same problem...i itch on my legs, arms, back and stomach after baths for about 20 mins. The other thing is when am itching i feel disgusted...and am in such a bad mood..annoyed..i feel like things around me are filthy. My husband argues that it is psychological...but i don't think so coz it started when i was about 9...some one please help.

Note: i find relief when i put on a clean warm soft robe or sweater immediately after taking baths. I aslo keeps things around me clean especially my bathroom area.
|

replied December 29th, 2012
Wooooooow!!! I feel like u r typing out my situation. That's exactly what happens to me. It's nothing short of annoying.
A hot bath and very dried towels help
|

replied August 16th, 2011
Wow!!!
I thought this is perculiar to only me. Its been on since forever. Everything around appears disgusting. It feels like there are layers of germs covering every item.
Essyg, I also find relieve in putting on freshly ironed clothing and keeping my environment very tidy especially before a bath. Its was if there are discolorations on the wall or sheet. It not a pleasant state to be in.
Isnt there any medical solution to this? Some one help!
|

Skin itching
Its comforting knowing that someone goes through what i do....Gandalf....if you ever find a solution please let me know...i particularly hate the disgust i get when i take a bath...i always feel that i should disinfect everything in my house and clothes..will surely try the ironing trick
|

I need to have a bath and head out for a meeting but I dread the itch to follow after it. You know, I literarily bathe in dettol - I douse my sponge in it undilutted before scrubbing.
Bathing in very hot water helps.
Out of curiousity, is this perculiar to a particular race?
|

Just did some more research. Think I know what the problem is: Polycythemia vera. Aquagenic pruritus (Aquagenic pruritus is a skin disease characterized by the development of severe, intense, prickling-like epidermal itching that is without observable skin lesions and that is evoked by contact with water) is sometimes a symptom of primary Polycythemia vera which I suspect is my case.
Quoting from google "Patients with polycythemia vera can be asymptomatic.[6] A classic symptom of polycythemia vera is itching, particularly after exposure to warm water (such as when taking a bath)[7], which may be due to abnormal histamine release[8][9] or prostaglandin production.[10] Such itching is present in approximately 40% of patients with polycythemia vera.[3] Gouty arthritis may be present in up to 20% of patients.[3] Peptic ulcer disease is also common in patients with polycythemia vera; the reasons for this are unclear, but may be related to an increased susceptibility to infection with the ulcer-causing bacterium H. pylori.[11] Another possible mechanism for the development for peptic ulcer is increased histamine release and gastric hyperacidity related with polycythemia vera.

A rare but classic symptom of polycythemia vera (and the related myeloproliferative disease essential thrombocythemia) is erythromelalgia.[12] This is a sudden, severe burning pain in the hands or feet, usually accompanied by a reddish or bluish coloration of the skin. Erythromelalgia is caused by an increased platelet count or increased platelet "stickiness" (aggregation), resulting in the formation of tiny blood clots in the vessels of the extremity; it responds rapidly to treatment with aspirin.[13][14]

Patients with polycythemia vera are prone to the development of blood clots (thrombosis). A major thrombotic complication (e.g. heart attack, stroke, deep venous thrombosis, or Budd-Chiari syndrome) may sometimes be the first symptom or indication that a person has polycythemia vera.

Headaches, lack of concentration and fatigue are common symptoms that occur in patients with polycythemia vera as well."
Just to mention, I have a history chronic peptic ulcer disease with seven episodes of bleeding peptic ulcer disease and in all cases, my blood count dropped to between 16-20% and I recovered to normal range without being transfused under a three week period. I had to have restrict dieted because of the ulcer so I wasnt eating very high nutirent meals. Guess this miracle stems from suffering from Polycythemia Vera. Hope this helps...
|
Users who thank Gandalf for this post: ugene 

replied December 20th, 2011
Itching after Bath
what drugs can i take for my body itching after bath with soap, i just discovered that irrespective of any soap used, even anti-septic soap. my body will itch me for almost 5 minuted.please assist me prescriptions. ISRAEL
|

replied February 29th, 2012
the itch
Hi ishotech like @DABISHOP said the cure is in your mind. I have had the itch since i was 11years now am 30 years old and i still get it but not as intense as i used to. I have realized that everytime i think of positive things or i have happy thots i get it mildly or its not there. The key is not to think of germs, the dirty things you saw or be angry. i have also found out that covering myself with warm blankets helps after a bath, taking a very hot bath and also using a heater to dry myself.
|

replied March 31st, 2012
Am living in the tropics , i have been experiencing this body itch after my recovery from fever that was about 12 years from now ,a lot of people were telling is because of worms that are in my system , i have used many types of dewormers but none works i would like to know , the remedy for this body itching.....
|

replied April 17th, 2012
Today i feel happy because i'm not the only one in this itching of a thing. Now, what is the way out?
|
12 >>
Quick Reply