Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

it doesn't feel like IBS to me...

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I go to toilet around 1-3 times a day (usually during the first few hours after I wake up)and when I go to toilet, I pass a lot of loud gas and yellow mucus. The shade of the mucus can be darker or lighter but it is always yellow. The more times I go to toilet, the more stools I produce but I still don't produce a lot of them. I get nausea when passing stools, the consistency changes and they are covered with white or yellow mucus. I can hold it in but if I hold it in for too long then I produce a lot more mucus the next time I go. The only time I get a stomach ache is when I eat a big meal to fast and it usually goes away within half an hour. This pain is usually on my left side and starts at the bottom but moves up. I sometimes get discomfort in my stomach at night due to gas. Every now and then I get a pain in my lower back and around my kidneys. This usually goes within 30 minutes but it can be a bit uncomfortable. Today, I have had a burning sensation in my right testicle and when I begin to urinate, there is a slight burning sensation in my penis. I am still a virgin so it isn't an STI. I also feel more tired.

I went to the doctors on Tuesday and she said that I have IBS and gave me mebeverine. This are not helping and I would even say it has made things worse as I have been producing less stools since taking it. I have changed my diet to a more healthier one and drink more water but that hasn't helped either. To be honest, it doesn't feel like IBS to me if that makes sense. I was just wondering whether this is IBS or something more serious.

Oh yeah, I am a 18 year old male if that helps.

Thank you Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2012
(online)
Welcome to e health forum.‎

Your history and your symptoms do appear to be due to irritable bowel syndrome. The diagnosis of IBS is done only when all other possible medical conditions have been ruled out.

In case you have symptoms or issues like weight loss, loss of appetite, blood in stools, - then it is likely that you do not have IBS. In such cases, conditions like lactose intolerance, inflammatory bowel disease, giardiasis, malabsorption syndromes, intestinal infections, may need to be ruled out.

In addition, most tests like complete hemogram, peripheral blood smear, stool examination, barium studies of the intestines will be normal in IBS.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic functional disorder characterized by cramping abdominal ‎pain or discomfort with alterations in ‎‎‎‎‎‎bowel habits (bloating, constipation, and diarrhea).‎

IBS does not cause ‎any permanent damage or ‎‎any serious illness but the symptoms cause severe discomfort & distress ‎affecting an ‎‎‎‎individuals work, ability to travel and attend social ‎‎events. ‎

Most symptoms of IBS can be controlled with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications ‎‎(laxatives, antidiarrheals, ‎‎‎‎‎‎antispasmodics, or antidepressants). ‎

Medications like activated charcoal (Charcocaps, charcoal tablets) can help to reduce the symptoms of bloating, belching, etc as they ‎‎‎absorb the excess gases produced in the intestine.‎ Loperamide (Imodium) can help in controlling your diarrhea.

You might consult with your doctor or your gastroenterologist for proper examination and specific treatment.‎

I hope this helps

|

replied June 12th, 2012
I am a FIRM believer in probiotics, specifically "ALIGN" - It sure has helped me.
|

replied June 12th, 2012
I am a FIRM believer in probiotics, specifically "ALIGN" - It sure has helped me.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.