Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

issues with orange juice ?

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
User Profile
In the last 5 years I started having issues with orange juice after drinking it I would feel as if I have strep throat, soon after lemmons, limes, toamtos, and even cranberries do the same thing additionly I now get ulcer like sore on my tounge, cheeks, andthroat. Could be be allergic to citric acid and why do cranberries cause the same reaction. After expirenceing the sore throat it remains sore for 1-3 days and an annoying dry cough starts also.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2011
Allergies Answer A20308
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the oral allergy syndrome to citrus fruits.
A significant number of people are affected each year by fruit allergies. If we take food allergies as a whole, nearly one fifth of the population are affected. It is worth knowing that fruit allergies, like all allergies, are often hereditary and if both parents have an allergy, you are more likely to also have that allergy than if only one parent has the allergy.
The common citrus fruit allergy symptoms are:
•Ulcers inside the mouth, tongue and lips
•Constriction of throat due to swelling. Itching and irritation in the throat
•Tingling sensation in the inner cheeks and lips
•Rashes on various parts of the body, hives
•Watery eyes that may itch
•Cold and flu symptoms, sneezing, coughing and wheezing
•Vomiting
•Respiratory complications, asthma attack and difficulty in breathing
•Diarrhea
If you experience an allergic reaction to citrus fruits, you should immediately see a doctor about it. Though the symptoms are usually mild, anaphylactic symptoms may be experienced by some. In such a case, treatment should be made available immediately. For the milder symptoms, antihistamines are administered. If there are skin rashes and hives, topical lotions and creams containing corticosteroids may be recommended. If there has been an asthma attack or respiratory problems, bronchodilators are used.
It is best to avoid eating citrus fruits. In unavoidable circumstances, peeling off the skin of the fruit may help decrease chances of developing citrus fruit allergies. Freshly picked citrus fruits are better than those that are very ripe. Fruit juices and other beverages that may contain citrus fruit pulp or juices should also be avoided.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.