Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Is this sleep paralysis?

Okay, so I think it's sleep paralysis, but I want to be sure it isn't something else. I'm a 19 year old female.

Sometimes I'll wake up and I can't move or speak. I can control my breathing and if there is someone else in the room I try to breathe more heavily or quickly to let them know what's going on so they can wake me up but it has never happened. It Always feels like I'm in slow motion. That's the biggest thing. I feel like I'm moving in extreme slow motion, but I somehow know that I'm not. I usually know exactly where I am and what is happening as it has been happening for around six months now so I'm never really frightened. I can sometimes wake myself up my twitching my face or jerking my head. But, if I do this I will sometimes fall straight back to sleep. In times when I can't wake myself up, I usually just end up falling back asleep. It has happened in the middle of the night, in the middle of the day when I'm taking naps, and even in the car when I'm sleeping on road trips. If it happens once, it's likely to happen again if I go back to sleep, but it does not happen every time. Usually it is around twice a month or so. It's strange and I want to know if you all think it's sleep paralysis or something other than that?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 4th, 2011
Also, I forgot to mention I have iron-deficiency anemia and take iron supplements sometimes for that if it could be related.
|

replied January 26th, 2012
Hello i am exaclty the same age and have had this since i was 15 and yes it is sleep paralysis i have had it so many times and i still cry everytime it happens lol and i am usually woken up by my dad trying to shake me u as he knows it is happening, it is such a horrible feeling. I was also anemic and had to take iron tablets too but even when i didnt it used to hapen s im not sure if it could be related to that.
|