Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Is this normal postictal recovery?

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
I have had epilepsy for 16 years and, for the most part, it has been controlled with medicine. After being seizure free for 6 years, I made the stupid assumption that I no longer needed my medicine, which would save me hundreds of dollars. Well, wrong, wrong, wrong. About a month ago I had a very unusual string of seizures. I say "unusual" because it doesn't fit into my typical seizure pattern. They are normally few and far between but on this particular day, I had one in my sleep, one when I woke up in the morning and one at night. The one at night was in my car (thank God my sister-in-law was driving). The one in the evening was definitely the worst so, again, thank God, someone was there with me. They too me to the hospital and I was admitted. They did all of the necessary testing and everything turned out normal, other than my EEG, of course. During my postictal sleep, i continued to seize through the night and on into the next morning.
I have since returned to work and normal everyday activity, however, I am NOT feeling normal. I am foggy, confused, forgetful, dizzy and I have overwhelming feelings of sadness and fear (of what, I really don't know). I am making so many mistakes because I lack concentration and then I just get so depressed because I can't control my body and mind.
So, my big question is this... is it normal to have postictal symptoms this long after seizures or could it be something more? I was checked for a concussion in the hospital and the CT came out ok so I don't think it would be that. Is it possible that this could be perminant?
Did you find this post helpful?
|