Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

is there any immediate home relief from tmj ear pain?

I've had tmj disorder for over 20 years. mine came on quickly because of impacted wisdom teeth that I let stay in way too long until I got insurance. the wisdom teeth removal helped the pain some, but, the jaw pain from my permanently misaligned bite has come and gone for the 20 years since. I don't clench or grind. when the pain comes, it is in the form of feeling like I have a bad toothache in all of my bottom teeth. I live with it by taking Tylenol. I had a severe kidney reaction to anti inflammatory drugs and can no longer take them. for many years I was on a psoriatic arthritis infusion and one of the benefits was no more tmj pain. that had to stop three years ago when the kidney reaction happened. so, i'm living with the come and go pain. however... the pain i'm used to had changed. about a month ago, I had sever earache pain and tenderness on one side. the doctor said no ear infection and it went away a few days later. it's back now for the past four days. i'm in tears it hurts so bad and I haven't slept in days. this is a completely new area of pain. the ear hurts around it and inside. nothing is working. i'm exhausted. I don't work outside of the home, and I haven't felt good enough to do the things I usually do. this is my story and I hope someone reads it and has some advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper DAYUMmyJawHurt
|

replied January 10th, 2017
I've struggled with TMJ on both sides of my jaw since I was 12, now going on 21. At first it was just a few crack here and there, not to bad but now it's full blown pain, headaches, lumps and popping constantly, trust me I know the game. You being unable to take certain NSAIDs makes me feel for you, that's terrible, sorry to hear the reacts you get to them. Aside from Tylenol and those medicines, Icing your jaw can help temporarily help ease the pain, along with heating padding over the sore/spot. Bite gaurds help if you are also a clencher or grinder in your sleep. If you have good doctor who actually takes his or her time to look at it they may prescribe you some pain medications or muscle relaxers to help manage pain. Aside from all this, I find relaxing and avoiding stress helps by not having your muscles be so tight. Hope it helps a little, hang in there you're one of us lol.
|

replied January 10th, 2017
My worst TMJ pain comes in form of stabbing ear pain. So trust me, I get where you are coming from. I have yet to find anything that can get rid of it. But a few things help a little; ice packs, massaging my face to loosen up the muscles, and rest. It might be a good idea to get imaging done to determine if your issue is muscular or with the joint itself. My imaging results show that my discs are displaced on both sides which causes them to put pressure on my ears. I am waiting on an orthotic that is supposed to position my jaw forward to take the pressure off my ears. My jaw is also sore but nothing compares to the ear pain. Worst pain of my entire life. Hang in there. HUGS
|
Tags: Arthritis
Quick Reply