Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Is there a medical term for this?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Well my mother has pointed out that every time I leave the house I get physically ill. Is this a medical condition? Is this all in my head?
I would like to know the name of the medical condition (if it is one) so I can ask my doctor to check me.
If this is in my head, what is causing my physical pain? Is my brain releasing chemicals or something?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 5th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
If it is a medical condition, if there is a medical term for it, you probably should not take daily medication for it, that would be to toxic and then you would have pain everywhere that you went.

Maybe you should stay home as much as possible, but not in a bad way, in a way that is useful and perhaps even a bit of fun.

Do you play any instruments, or write, or read, you could learn a lot from the computer that you are on right now.

Only take something for this if it becomes so painful that it's rediculous and that is your last option.

Pills are bad, on a daily basis, very toxic, but good for some things at certain times.

In short, who cares if there is a medical term for it, because if there is, they will pump you full of pills probably, and then you won't even be anywhere near happy at home even, unless it gets severe enough that you can't stand it, but be generous.
|

replied September 6th, 2010
psychosomatic disorders
Yes , you might want to look under psycho-somatic disorders. By definition it is a condition in which psychological stress adversely affects one's physiology(body).
But there is a whole array of psychosomatic dissorders, so yo might want to seek professional help.
|

replied September 7th, 2010
Sounds like it could be either panic attacks or agoraphobia, or fear of going out. Could also be OCD of some degree. Check with your doctor, he/she can steer you in the right direction. Good luck!
|

replied September 7th, 2010
Panic disorders can be difficult to identify in your self, often people who have agoraphobia feel intense physical symptoms. I have slight OCD, no agoraphobia but I do get sick every Christmas and Thanksgiving..I finally figured out that this is due to the fact that my family is a train wreck, full of drugs (present) and abuse (past) and that the stress level of attending these events was too intense for me..Now so as not to dis-own my family I see them on the days surrounding holidays in "smaller doses", only one sector of them at once. It fixed my problem..behavioral therapy is probably your best bet. Find a psych you feel comfortable with and do your best to identify and solve the problem. Don't recluse yourself to your home, that is no way to live. I hope you feel better!
|

replied September 16th, 2010
You should be examined by a medical doctor. If it is in fact in your head, get therapy and find a support group where you can share problems and receive helpful tips on how to cope on a day to day basis. Try to find a meetup group in your area. Try meetup.com. You just might make new friends and heal together.
|