Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Is there a direct link between severe stress and volvolus cecal?

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
User Profile
I have found quite a bit of information linking stress to IBS. My father who recently stopped drinking after 35 years and moved to a new home and job was just diagnosed and treated for volvolus cecal. I have read most cases of twisted intestines occur in small intestine and it is less common for the cecal area. but when I looked up stress and bowels there was more cases of large intestine troubles. The doctor that performed his surgery said he could not pin point a cause and there was no sign of cancer or pallups in the length removed.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 23rd, 2012
(online)
Welcome to e health forum.

Volvulus is a condition, where the intestine twists upon itself. Such condition can be seen in both the small intestines (more common) as well as the large intestines (cecum or sigmoid colon).

The cause for such twisting is due to reduced intestinal motility, weak intestinal support structures and/ or elongation of the intestines.

Stress is not a direct cause of Volvulus. Stress is a major factor that can be the cause of conditions like Irritable bowel syndrome, but IBS is not a cause of volvulus.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Intestinal Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.