Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Is there a cut off age for being a heart donor?

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
Is is possible for the heart of a 70 year old to be transplanted into the body of a 30 year old? Assuming the 70 year old was healthy?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 20th, 2012
Im not sure on that. But i figure yes. I am 30 and if i needed a heart even one from a 70 year old would be good if it would give me even a extra day to live.
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
1eydlady,

As jeffff stated, it is possible for a 70 year old to donate organs.

According to the Department of Health and the Mayo Clinic:

There is no absolute age limit for organ donation. In general, organs may be donated from someone as young as a newborn or as old as 75. Depending on the tissue in question, the age limit for donation is below 80 for cornea and between 16 and 60 for long bones. There is no age limit for skin donation.

There are very few absolute contraindications for organ/tissue donations. For example, patients with some infectious diseases or cancer (except brain cancer that has not spread) may not be suitable for organ donation. The medical team in charge of the transplant will assess all potential donors individually for suitability of the organs/tissues for donation.

So, yes, it is possible, that if a 70 year old has no heart disease, the person's heart could be eligible for transplantation.
|
Tags: heart
Quick Reply