Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Is orange juice bad for potential diabetes patients?

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
My mother is a diabetic and so is my aunt. I am 20 year old male who drinks orange juice for breakfast everyday. Will this increase the probability of I becoming a diabetic .
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Orange juice, despite its high caloric load of sugars, appears to be a healthy food for diabetics due to its high content of flavonoids.

These flavanoids suppress destructive oxygen free radicals -- also known as reactive oxygen species, or ROS. An overabundance of free radicals can damage all components of the cell, including proteins, fats and DNA, contributing to the development of many chronic diseases, including heart disease and stroke as well as diabetes.

Hence since you are still young, you can always continue to drink orange juice and not worry about it causing diabetes.

|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
There isn't a specific food that is going to bring on diabetes. It's your overall diet, lifestyle, and genetics. People used to think that too much sugar caused diabetes, but now we know better.

If you want to give yourself the best chance of preventing Type 2 diabetes, eat a healthy diet overall with plenty of fiber (but you don't have to be crazy strict about it like you already have diabetes), keep yourself at a healthy weight, and exercise.

Also, get regular physicals and blood tests, that way if you become borderline or pre-diabetic in the future, your doctor will know and possibly put you on medication to prevent it from progressing (along with lifestyle changes).
|

replied July 10th, 2013
hello,

Diet and Exercise is very important in all fornms of diabtes. Mostly People skip breakfast as a measure to control their weight. Research shows that eating breakfast can actually help you maintain a healthy body weight.

Cutting out all sugar is almost impossible to stick to, as natural sugars can be found in foods such as fruits and vegetables. so don't worry you take daily orange juice. Rolling Eyes
|

replied July 11th, 2013
This was very interesting. I am wondering if there is something that can be eaten with the Orange Juice to help counteract the sugar in the juice?
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2013
If you are worried about consuming large amounts of sugar that may be in your store bought orange juice, try to make your own from scratch so you can control how much sugar is in it. I understand that it takes time, but maintaining good health deserves some time.
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.