Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Is it possible that my blood pressure is still the same?

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
User Profile
After 2 years of not seeing a doctor (never sick and at the time did not have health insurance for a regular checkup) I visited a doctor for the first time and was told I had High Blood pressure. My pressure was taken twice and was 136/108 and 138/100. I was told I should try to change my diet, try to lose some weight and come back for a follow up in 1 month. My diet was very unhealthy, I was inactive and usually had 3000+ mg sodium a day with caffeine and moderate alcohol use.

In one month I lost 10 pounds and and kept my sodium intake under 2000mg a day, usually between 1500-1700mg a day. I also began doing 30min-1hr cardio, 3 times a week. After going for my follow up, my blood pressure was again taken twice and the numbers were 130/102 and 138/102. Now I am being prescribed medication. Is it possible that my blood pressure is still the same considering the large change in my diet, and add of exercise? Also, does this prescription make sense? I am worried about taking medication.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 10th, 2012
High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Answer A37910
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Lifestyle changes combined with medication should help in controlling your blood pressure. If the blood pressure has not been controlled with lifestyle changes, then it could suggest organic cause. Further evaluation should be done to rule out precipitating factors like hyperlipidemia, high salt intake, hereditary, any inflammation, insulin resistance, hyperglycemia, renal causes, adrenal gland tumor, co-arctation of aorta, etc. If any underlying cause is detected, further treatment should be directed to control or treat the underlying cause to have effective control of blood pressure. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.