Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Is it ok to have sex with a hernia?

I was told by my doctor that I have a hernia. I think it is directly to the left of my groin. My Doctor was in a big rush it seemed as usual and I was pretty much in shock because of all the procedures that had been done that day so I didn't ask him to explain it. I also have MRSA so I don't think sex is an option anyways... But what about just masturbating? I just don't want to hurt myself more because he said he thinks it may go away on its own, although I have been in pain since may. This is pretty embarrassing to talk about but I need some answers because I am extremely stressed out not knowing what this is and how serious it is. Rolling Eyes
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kansasgirl79
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2009
First of all, unless you are straining mightily or lifting heavy objects while you masturbate, masturbation does not pose any risk to your groin hernia. (Hernias do not "go away on [their] own," by the way.)

Secondly, I am not sure where your MRSA infection is, or how extensive it is, so I cannot comment much on this part of your inquiry. However, if you do not currently have an active infection with MRSA, then I am not sure why you are under the impression that you cannot be (responsibly) sexually active.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied July 8th, 2009
My Doctor said that I "can be around people" so I'm not sure if it's okay or not. He still wants me on clindamycin and I have been taking that for almost 20 days now for the MRSA. Before that I had tried Augmentin, keflex, and levaquin. I was on the levaquin 6 days before the cleocin.

But the hernia thing. I don't feel too much pain right now. What could happen if I strain myself too much? This happened by lifting large air conditioners at work.

Thank you for the help
|

replied April 6th, 2012
should someone have intercoures with a hernia
my husban just found out thathe has a hernia . the dr at the er wants him to follow up with a surgon on monday . he think he is supperman or something and is abe to have sex because on his discharge paper its says no heavy lifting . Is he able to have sex or should we waite.
|

replied April 6th, 2012
should someone have intercoures with a hernia
my husban just found out thathe has a hernia . the dr at the er wants him to follow up with a surgon on monday . he think he is supperman or something and is abe to have sex because on his discharge paper its says no heavy lifting . Is he able to have sex or should we waite.
|

replied April 6th, 2012
Experienced User
Short answer: YES, it's okay to have sex with a hernia

Longer answer: Make the lovemaking easier on him. You do most of the work. You on top, him on bottom. I wouldn't be trying any crazy positions that require twister-like movements.
|

replied August 15th, 2012
Can a hernia cause a males penis not to function properly?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.