Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Is it normal to get occasional high bp on medication

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
I am on Benicar 40 HCTZ, I take only 3/4 of the pill as I have been exercising and losing weight "nearly 20 lbs". What I want to know is the following.

22 year old male

Usually my systolic is 125-140 and my diastolic is 65-75. My machines average reads 132/75 although I am worried for one reason.

I get occasional high readings, like 155/81 or 146/84, I even had a 160/75 a few days ago! However, I check almost consistently "about 30-40" times a day "I have OCD". And I only get those high readings 2-3 times and most of the time they are like "144/75" although I am still worried about the high 150-160's that I occasionally get.

So I guess what I want to know is, since my bp is not consistently high, and is for the most part in the right range can I consider myself treated? Also, am I in danger of a stroke or heart attack or is it consistent high readings that are a problem?

Doctor doesn't want to overmedicate me, and neither do I.

Thanks

Todays readings

128/66
127/71
134/70
132/71
145/77
122/73
153/82
149/76
127/70
132/75
144/70
133/68
129/71
133/65
138/71
116/64

Thanks again
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2011
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

Let me explain you that BP keeps on fluctuating throughout the day and is never constant.It is not at all required to measure the BP so many times in a day and you can track it only when you feel any unusual symptoms or regularly once in 15 days.
The BP readings are increased after exercise,food,anxiety,stress so kindly avoid measuring it now and then.
The readings are fine and you need not worry and increase the medication.
Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Mitaly Agarwal for this post: dantescritic 
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.