Medical Questions > Relationships > GLBT Relationships Forum

Is it normal for two straight girls who are best friends, to be

We're both girls and we both
were as close as ever! Like we could never go a day without speaking to each other. Then we had a bit of an issue, I betrayed her and from then, she became indifferent and we hardly spoke at all. Maybe once in two weeks. I always thought she was that way because of what I did but that was one of the reasons. After
months, today she tells me
exactly why she became that
way - she says we were *too* close and emotionally involved without realising it. Kinda like a fling, which it was technically she told me. We never saw it like
that coz we deemed how close we were to be normal, which it wasn't. Thankfully she realised it and backed off coz we're both straight. I think she noticed when we had a fight and how I fought with her was akin to how a boyfriend/girlfriend would. And then she kept her distance. It's the first time this has happened with us. Is it normal for girls in friendships to be involved in emotional flings unintentionally, without even realising it? Do you think she may have had feelings for me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Sexuality for a lot of people is not black and white or strictly gay or straight.It varies from person to person.Sexuality is fluid.If you 2 cant be friends then you cant be friends.It doesn't mean you had a unhealthy relationship or that there was underlying emotions ... it just went it course.
|

replied January 31st, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Any teenage girl who doesn't have an insane and irrational emotionally charged relationship with every younger woman in her life should probably be checked out for sociopathy. The intensity and ambiguity that young girls have in their early relationships is one of the primary reasons that Sexual preference is defined by action rather than interest. Yes she had feelings for you but not in any unusual way for a girl her age.
|

replied February 7th, 2010
Experienced User
To Babydoddle - I hope that other girls will join you here, and we`ve not put them off. If not do a re-entry!
Yes, that`s normal, for it`s not unnatural for females to be very close. and exactly the nature of loving friendship that I so envy girlkind for - One of the main reasons my best friends are in-fact so much younger - It is quite normal and characteristic of the most supreme of girls friendships. Just imagine if it were also totally unconditional.
Only because it stands out so far from the every day and the ordinary do girls even think to question it. Your friend probably came to realize the frienships potency only with her betrayal, and it was some programming, the media, perhaps even friends (maybe some envious ones)which led her away, but never the truth of your truly amazing friendship. Keep your focus and never grow-out of them! If you invite her back she may consider you `the worst` but this is the corruptiveness of society, and reflects on neither of you.
Radicalchild is the best person to talk to, she has her own relationship domain here - say I sent you. Thanks.
|

replied March 1st, 2010
well ive had done of those relationships
me and my mate couldnt go a day without seeing or speaking to eachother we'd text all the time if we wernt together thered be a text b4 we went sleep n one wen we woke up from whoever went sleep first or woke first then we just became distant n she changed wen she got a boyfriend she'd stop seeing/texting me n we barely spoke coz she was always with him then they split n she was over me like a rash again
so i guess to a degree it is normal to be that close to a mate
|

replied March 1st, 2010
well ive had done of those relationships
me and my mate couldnt go a day without seeing or speaking to eachother we'd text all the time if we wernt together thered be a text b4 we went sleep n one wen we woke up from whoever went sleep first or woke first then we just became distant n she changed wen she got a boyfriend she'd stop seeing/texting me n we barely spoke coz she was always with him then they split n she was over me like a rash again
so i guess to a degree it is normal to be that close to a mate
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2010
if you acted like a bf/gf when you fought, maybe she backed off bc she thought you had feelings, or were acting jealous. maybe it freaked her out. its normal for girls to be that close and fight like that, maybe she just wasnt comfortable with how far it got. or maybe she did have feelings and stopped it before it got further. it could go many ways. i was a jealous friend once. then i realized,i might be gay. didnt make a difference bc i didnt like her that way she was just my best friend whom i saw almost everyday. thats where my other point of view comes in. if i start having feelings for a straight friend now that i know i like the same sex, i do back away. so either she freaked out, or she was attracted in some way.

either way, it is completely normal for friends to be that close.
|
Quick Reply