Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

is ICMA antibody test reliable?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Dear Sir
i took HIV PCR DNA test

1- 21 dayS HIV 1 PCR DNA with icma antibody test came back negative
2- 28 days HIV2 PCR DNA negative
3- 44 days HIV 1 pcr dna + ICMA ANTIBODY negative

are these test conclusive , and is ICMA antibody test reliable , do i need any more test in future doest it conflict with hepatits C if i have , i drink a lot and smoke a lot does tht affect my result i have heard somewhere 44 days hiv pcr dna looses the reliability and it can produce false negative , do i need any further testing please do reply

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A31994
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Your recent HIV test at 6 weeks (42 days) with DNA PCR as well as Antibody to HIV are negative. So you can consider them as accurate and indicate that you are currently HIV negative.

Smoking and drinking alcohol, do not affect your serology tests or your HIV status in anyway. Hepatitis C status also does not affect your HIV status in anyway.

HIV is a incurable disease and prevention or early detection and proper treatment is the only available options ‎currently. Once you are exposed to HIV, you will need surveillance period of 3 months to 6 months, at least to make sure that ‎you are not HIV infected. ‎Getting a negative HIV antibody test, in the early days, does not mean that you are free of infection. It is definitely ‎possible that you may develop antibodies at a later date. Hence retesting at a later date after 12 weeks is definitely ‎adviced to get a conclusive result. ‎

I would advice you to do a 4th generation HIV test (Antibody + p24) test after 12 weeks of exposure. A negative test after 12 weeks will definitely be conclusive.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.