Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Is Corn a Vegetable, Grain, or Fruit

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I know the answer i m curious of what other people think. Do you believe that corn is a vegetable, grain, fruit or all the above?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 8th, 2009
Experienced User
I think that corn is a grain.
It is surely not a fruit.
|

replied May 4th, 2011
if you use the botanists' oh-so-appetizing definition of a fruit as, "the edible plant structure of a mature ovary of a flowering plant," you realize that an average ear of corn is actually 600 to 800 little fruits attached to a woody, inedible core, the cob.
|

replied May 4th, 2011
if you use the botanists' oh-so-appetizing definition of a fruit as, "the edible plant structure of a mature ovary of a flowering plant," you realize that an average ear of corn is actually 600 to 800 little fruits attached to a woody, inedible core, the cob.
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi ServiceU,

Prior to processing, corn is a grain. After it is processed, with its perservatives, the Food and Drug Adminstration has deemed it as a vegetable. However, given reference to its name "sweet corn" it sure taste as sweet as some desserts doesn't it. Thanks for the question.

Faded Rose
|
Quick Reply