Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Is baby sleeping too much?

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
User Profile
Hey Everyone Smile

I was just wondering, I have a 7 week old baby girl her name is Hannah. I am wondering if it is possible for me to let her sleep too long? I understand its a blessing she is actually sleeping well but 9-10 hours a night with out waking is that healthy? Sleep is good for sure but that is a long time for her to be sleeping without eating. She is gaining weight properly she drinks about 3-5 ounces every 2-3 hours when she is awake?

I just don't want her to be TOO used to sleeping all the time. Also its hard to wake her, its like shes in a deep sleep?

Hm any advice would be awesome:) thanks soo much:)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Nothing to worry about. My daughter did the same thing since she was 5wks.

She's still young, all they do when they are that little is sleep, eat, dirty diapers, and grow. If she's not doing all four, then you can start to worry. She sounds like she's eating enough, too. It's definitely a blessing to have them sleep through the night!
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2008
Community Volunteer
This is called cluster feeding. Babies will stay away and be hungry more at times and eat frequently and a lot. Then they will sleep for a long time on that larger than normal amount of food. Think of it as like a bear going into hibernation for the winter Smile
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2008
Experienced User
LOL Hibernation I like it!

Is it good though for her to be doing that. I know sleeping after eating is not good you gain weight from it. I don't want her to be a big baby! Im small myself and she already feels heavy LMAO she is 9lbs on the dot! LOL I guess she isnt that big but im afraid she will get super huge!
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Haha, no. There is no reason to worry. Babies know instinctively how much they need to eat. Their purpose in life is to gain weight, grow, eat and sleep...don't worry about nature.

Sleeping after eating doesn't really make too much difference: it's what is eaten in total calories during the day that matters. If you are concerned that you are feeding your child not enough or too much, you can ask the advice of your pediatrician on what to give her.

The well baby checkups should be setting her on the right curve for her length and weight gain if you are doing everything right Smile
|