Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

irregular shape lump

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
My mother has just went to an ultrasound scanning recently and it is found that there were 2 irregular shape lumps on the right breast. Actually, these 2 lumps were already developed 6months ago when she went for the ultrasound, and now for the recently ultrasound scanning, the 2 irregular shape lumps still has not disappear. A biopsy were done 6months ago and the results was no problem- the 2 irregular shape lumps are not cancerous (it is safe). According to my family history, percentage to getting breast cancer is higher than normal people. It was inherited from my grandmother... My aunties were suffered from breast cancer before and 1 of them even died because of breast cancer. Should my mother remove the irregular shape lumps on her breast?? For your information, there are another 4 more lumps which are regular in shape and are normal in her breast... the doctor said the regular shape lump can be ignored. However, the irregular shape lumps have to be concerned... It is scared that the 2 irregular lumps will have changes in future.. The doctors asked us to think and decide whether want to remove the 2 irregular shape lumps or not... Should my mother remove the 2 irregular lumps on her breast via operation??? Thank you for your reply...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Breast lumps that are irregularly shaped or have irregular bordered, are lumps with a physical feature, that may suggest breast cancer or lumps with potential to become cancerous.
What was the biopsy result of these irregular breast lumps?
|

replied December 3rd, 2008
to MandMs
Thank you for your reply..
The biopsy says the 2 irregular shape lumps are normal.
A mammogram has just done today and the result for the 2 irregular lumps were also normal... but the doctor cannot say whether the 2 lumps will become cancerous lumps in future or not... so in your opinion, should my mother remove the 2 lumps from her breast??? If I not mistaken, the doctor say all the lumps in her breast were benign...
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!
Do the lumps, the 2 irregular and 4 regular, involve both of her breasts or all of the lumps are situated just in her right one?
Does your mother feel pain, discomfort or tenderness in her breasts?

Breast cancer, usually appears as a single lump.
Lumps that are multiple in breasts are suggestive for benign lumps of fibrocystic breast condition.
Acctually, fibrocystic lumps can mimic breast cancer by their consistency (sometimes, fibrocystic lumps can be felt as hard lumps, like in most of the cases of breast cancer), and by the shape (lumps due to fibrocystic change are often described as "lumpy", with an apparently irregular shape)
If fibrocystic breast condition is the case, than your mother like most of the women with fibrocystic breast condition must be followed over time as if they all are at an increased risk for developing breast cancer.
|

replied December 5th, 2008
to MandMs
thanks for your reply...
There are 3lumps on the right and the others on the left breast...
my mother just feel the breast has changed (getting bigger) and her right hand always feel like no energy (tired)...
my mother has to go for a checkup for every six months...
from your opinion, should my mother remove the 2 irrregular lumps???
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I'm not qualified to suggest you a further surgery or a wait full watching for the irregular lumps.
If your mother, indeed, has fibrocystic breast condition, her specific risk of developing breast cancer, can't be calculated, unless a lump biopsy is performed.
Biopsy of these lumps, eventually, will reveal if she has a certain type of cellular changes, associated with a risk of breast cancer.

Best wishes,
Marija
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2009
Lumps in Mom's breast
MandMs sounds like she is very knowledgeable about this! My doctor just found 2 lumps in my left breast so I was very interested in the answers here. I would like to make a suggestion to Applemint if I may. I have been working with doctors to try to become healthy again for almost 15 years and whenever faced with something this serious, I always go for a second opinion. Find a good surgeon that you can trust, go and get a second opinion, even a third until you are comfortable with the answers given and feel assured that your Mom is making the right choice. I personally prefer to get rid of anything that doesn't belong. With my previous cancer, the doctors removed 27 nodules, 3/4 were not cancer, the rest were. I figure better safe than sorry! Best to you, blessings.
|