Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

irregular menstruation after masturbation (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
doctor, I first had my period when I was 12, and it has been quite regular. it became irregular for some months, but my mother claimed it to be just because I was still young and i still had time for it to settle down. i began to masturbate some years later (rubbing only) and my period has been extremely irregular. whenever it does come it is particularly heavy and continues on for sometimes longer than one week. inbetween periods can also be up to 3-5 months, if so longer. i have not had any sexual intercourse, just masturbation. is my irregular menstrual cycle related to masturbating? thank you for your time and answer.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kristigraham
|

replied January 10th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
Dee, your menstruation is controlled by your hormones. Masturbation does not affect the hormones that control your cycle. So NO, masturbation and orgasm does not affect your menstruation, ovulation or any part of your menstrual cycle.

Some girls seemingly start their flow a bit earlier or bleed a little bit later if they orgasm right before or after their menstrual flow. The reason is that the contractions of the uterus during orgasm will push out some 'lose' blood. This is however not what you are describing.

Your mom is correct. During puberty your cycles can be very irregular and unpredictable. For most girls it will however become regular after a while. After a few years, having cycles that are 3 months long is however not natural. Of course there are many other factors that can affect your cycles as well: Low BMI, low body fat, super fitness, strenuous exercises, poor health, poor nutrition and others.

Talk to your mom again. If you are worried about it, a doctor should take a look at your hormone levels to make sure everything is fine and there is not some problem.

Best of luck!
|

replied March 14th, 2011
Please!
My god! We have the same problem. I'm also masturbating everyday sometimes I got a pillow or anything that would satisfy me. Is that responsible for having my menstruation late? Thanks.
|

replied March 14th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Zeddd, masturbation, sex and orgasms does NOT affect your menstrual cycle. Just like rubbing any other part of your body does not affect it. Just the opposite is normally true, certain phases in menstrual cycle can affect your desire for sex and orgasms. For example during ovulation or before your period.

Was your cycle regular at some stage? Are you old enough to expect a regular cycle?
|

replied March 18th, 2011
i'm 23 year girl and i everyday masturbaiting and costantly menstrual cycle late...i dont now why?
|

replied March 18th, 2011
susan862003 wrote:
Zeddd, masturbation, sex and orgasms does NOT affect your menstrual cycle. Just like rubbing any other part of your body does not affect it. Just the opposite is normally true, certain phases in menstrual cycle can affect your desire for sex and orgasms. For example during ovulation or before your period.

Was your cycle regular at some stage? Are you old enough to expect a regular cycle?

My mense is not regular. It's already 5mos and it didnt came to me.. Please help! What will be the possible things that I must do? Thank you very much!
|

replied March 18th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Zedd, How old are you?
|
Users who thank UnknownABC for this post: Zeddd 

replied March 18th, 2011
susan862003 wrote:
Zedd, How old are you?

I'm 17, running 18 dis April.
|

replied March 18th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Zedd, at almost 18 your cycles should be more regular. Various things can delay it, most of these affect your hormones. Your cycles are almost completely controlled by your hormones. Things that can affect your hormones:

Poor health
Super fitness
Low body fat
Stress and worry
Medicines
Conditions like diabetes
Pregnancy (masturbation cannot get you pregnant however)

Anothr culprit is ovarian cysts (PCOS/PCOD). If you are overweight, have an enlarged clitoris, having extra body hair growth (face/hands/arms) or hair loss (in the same pattern as men does), there is a chance that you may have PCOS.

A doctor will need to examine you to determine why this is happening.

Best of luck!
|

replied March 20th, 2011
susan862003 wrote:
Zedd, at almost 18 your cycles should be more regular. Various things can delay it, most of these affect your hormones. Your cycles are almost completely controlled by your hormones. Things that can affect your hormones:

Poor health
Super fitness
Low body fat
Stress and worry
Medicines
Conditions like diabetes
Pregnancy (masturbation cannot get you pregnant however)

Anothr culprit is ovarian cysts (PCOS/PCOD). If you are overweight, have an enlarged clitoris, having extra body hair growth (face/hands/arms) or hair loss (in the same pattern as men does), there is a chance that you may have PCOS.

A doctor will need to examine you to determine why this is happening.

Best of luck!

I have already been examined by a gynecologist and she told me that i'm having poly cystic ovary i think. tsk! she also prescribed some medicines and it didn't work. when i'm telling my mom what to do, she's just ignoring me. Sad
|

replied March 20th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
The medicine is more than likely plain birth control pills. These are used to control PCOS.

PCOS is the reason for your lack of period and it needs to be treated to reduce the androgen hormones in your body. Please talk to your mom again.
|

replied March 20th, 2011
susan862003 wrote:
The medicine is more than likely plain birth control pills. These are used to control PCOS.

PCOS is the reason for your lack of period and it needs to be treated to reduce the androgen hormones in your body. Please talk to your mom again.

What will be the possible outcome if i ignored this?
|

replied March 20th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Zeddd, I sent you some links with good information about this. Let me know if you do not get this.
|

replied March 20th, 2011
Yes, I received it. Thank you!
|

replied January 9th, 2012
irregular periods
my age is 20.am from coimbatore.am havng irreugular periods for past 2 yrs.then for last 2 months i didn get periods.....i too feard about irregular periods.before 3 yrs i was eating zincovit and zincofer tablet for iron efficieny....i tuk blood tes
t ,doctor said tht hormones are in gud conditon thn tht docotr gave those two tablets......i didn like to continue tht tablets....i dono wat to do itsef...am eating daily lion dates and fr past one week am doin kaayakalpan exercise........can u pls suggest me wat to do next........
|

replied March 4th, 2012
why masturbation dont effect menses??while it ejects serum and due to the defficiency of serum we donot get periods on time
is not it the true reason?
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
Masturbation and Menstrual cycle flow length
I am in a group and we are talking about masturbation and the menstrual cycle. Some of the women in the group said that if one masturbates during their period, it will shorten the time they are on it, is that correct?
|

replied May 8th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Here is the theory:

When you orgasm, your uterus contracts. These contractions and menstrual cramps are the same type of thing, one just more pleasurable. Menstrual cramping is the uterus wall contracting to shed the lining. So having a pleasurable orgasmic contraction will do the same thing, and it may even speed up the shedding. The contractions, and the natural movement of your uterus will also cause a menstrual 'flood', pushing out the debris quicker than gravity will do it. So it is quite conceivable to shorten your flow by having an orgasm, or two, or three.

An orgasm shortly before your period can make it start a bit earlier, and an orgasm shortly after can make your period start again for a bit.

There are also some research that indicated that an orgasm during menstruation can reduce your risk for endometriosis. This is however not so clear cut.

Lastly, orgasms are fun. It can reduce your cramps, make you feel good, lift your mood, relax you and make you sleep better. So feel free to experiment and find out if you get any benefits. It does not matter if you orgasm from intercourse or masturbation.

Take care, and feel free to report back if you or your group get any benifit from it. It will be interesting to also get some real life feedback.
|

replied August 6th, 2012
a question
the question annswer session is quite interesting...actually i also am facing same problem...delayed periods and regular masturbation...i am so scared with my delayed periods.. i am 24 years old and periods haven't occured on me since 2 months. i masturbate regularly. and i feel my breast is being more bigger. is that the sign of irregular menstruation and regular masturbaion. pls help..
Andrea
|

replied August 6th, 2012
Community Volunteer
For irregular periods, you will have to see your doctor. It is normally due to hormone fluctuations or some physical condition. Hormone issues are caused by stress, medicines, nutrition, health or fitness/body weight. Physical issues are most often due to ovarian cysts (PCOS).

It is important that you keep track of the dates your periods start. Take this list of start dates with you to your doctor.

Cycles between 21 and 35 days are considered normal. And even if your cycles differ by 9 days, they are still considered regular. A longer or shorter cycle once in a while is not a problem.

Unless there is something big wrong (very unlikely), irregular cycles are most often treated with birth control hormones.

Regular masturbation does not have anything to do with your cycles. If anything, it is healthy and good for you. It helps you relax and sleep, it provides a safe way to deal with your sexual urges, it keeps your genitals 'fit', it teaches you about your body and sexuality and it releases various good hormones in your brain and blood when you orgasm. The urge to masturbate is also a sign of a healthy sex drive and general health.

Best of luck!
|

replied August 8th, 2012
hey thanks...actually what had happened is..
me and my boyfriend have had sex for the first time at office but we were not sure about penetration ....since then i havenot my periods...also for confirming the pregnency i went through Pregnancy test done by myself through pregnancy kit twice ,the result shows the negative Pregnancy (two parellel lines on C and T lines) each time...
now its almost more than a month we had sex..and almost 70 days from my last period...could u please suggest what will be the cause and is this case really a serious one or what? please suggest...
andrea
|

replied August 8th, 2012
Community Volunteer
How often did you have your period before this?

Your period is controlled by your hormones. Things that can affect your hormones are:

* medicines
* worry and stress
* weight loss
* low body fat
* hard exercise and super fitness
* physical problems like ovarian cysts (PCOS)
* pregnancy
* menopause

I will suggest you see your doctor after you miss your period a secon time (so after 3 months)
|

replied August 9th, 2012
normally it takes 1 and half month for period..and this time it has crossed 2 months and 15 days. so i am worried if anything is serious. and do you mean, i shud consult doc after it crosses 3 months???
|
12 >>