Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

iregular periods and being overweight

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
my name is sarah i have been having irregular periods for over two years now and when i do there heave. i'm over weight can that cause this or something else?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 22nd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Sarah, How old are you? Have you spoken to your doctor? How irregular is your periods?

Whenever I see "overweight" and "irregular periods" in the same sentence, I think ovarian cysts (PCOS/PCOD)

These are not necessarily always connected, but often it is. So if you have one of the following:

Diabetes/pre-diabetes
Enlarged clitoris
Deepened voice
Male pattern baldness
Facial or body hair growth
Depression,

you have to see your doctor. PCOS causes heightened testosterone causing all these symptoms. Any 3 is a warning sign and you already indicated you have 2.

Best of luck!
|

replied March 8th, 2011
I'm 22 years old i did see a doctor couple of years ago she said it was just cause i was over weight i usually go two to three months with out having one
|