Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

Introducing new baby to toddler

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
User Profile
Question Question i have a one year old and i am pregnant with my second child how do i introduce the arrival of the new baby to my one year old before it gets here? i dont think she can understand what i am saying or at least what it means... how would you handle this? Question Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2009
Experienced User
I'm going through the same thing. My daughter is 16 months old and my son will arrive when she is 21 months old. So far I just point to the baby bump and say "Baby! Where is Emma's baby?" and she goes to get her doll. At night time before bed, I rub my belly with lotion and Emma loves to help "rub cream on mommy's baby" I know she doesn't really understand, but we are working at it. I'm sure she will be a bit jealous, as she is still breastfeeding at night, but she is also going to be a big help with changing, bathing and cuddling her brother. Good luck, and I would also love to hear other people's input.
|
Users who thank Saragirl for this post: thepatchins 

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Teach your toddler the meaning of 'share'...which means your toddler will need to share mommy with the little one. Include your toddler on as much of the preparation for the arrival forward.

My two are 22 months apart (now 19 & 21) and my now ex late mother-in-law asked if she could keep our daughter at camp, on the lake, so I could relax a bit before taking care of two little ones.

At the time it was a great idea...however during those couple of weeks she brainwashed our daughter; basically she would no longer be in the center of attention because of her baby brother, etc.

The first time our daughter saw her little brother she said 'take it back' and for a while totally resented his presence.

All of my positive work was undone within a couple of weeks.

So with that said...listen to what others may tell your toddler, they may think it is funny or cute but it makes a big impact on the little one.
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2009
Experienced User
thanks for your input ladies.. noone really ever has averylee anywere without my dh or i so thats not a problem.. Averylee (my daughter) and the new baby will be 21 months apart as well.
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2009
Supporter
My daughter was 13 months when my second daughter arrived. I really didnt know what to expect, or how my daughter would react because she was only 13 months so she really didnt know. I remember when my husband brought my oldest into the hospital room and when she saw me with her new sister she just glared at me, and then she started acting out. As time when on she got used to having her around and started to understand more. Everything fell into place and now they are 2 and 1.
I wont lie, its not easy at first, and all kids are different, but for me as time went on it got easier. I hope everything goes great for you and your family, and an early congrats to you!
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
scott was just turnd 2 when rheece was born and i had to start doing things as a family and let one to one weeks cuming up to when he was born,
but now because of that im sure they have thier own brotherly lanuage lol

xxxx
|

replied January 18th, 2011
People do baby showers in anticipation of the newborn baby. This is usually done by a group of close friends of the future mother to be. Such events are mainly for gift giving which make it awkward for a family member of the mother to be to host such an event.
|

replied December 21st, 2011
Children after seperation
I have a daughter who is 2 and a half and very very clever... Her father ( we are separated ) is now having twins with a woman who also has a daughter who will be 2 when they are born, my daughter is already very jealous of her soon to be step mothers daughter and is having difficulties dealing with the separation as is.. I want to do everything I can to help her through this but I'm not sure how... It doesn't make it easy having her soon to be step mum be someone I used to call a friend but I'll do anything to make it easy on our daughter...
|

replied December 21st, 2011
I have a daughter who is 2 and a half and very very clever... Her father ( we are separated ) is now having twins with a woman who also has a daughter who will be 2 when they are born, my daughter is already very jealous of her soon to be step mothers daughter and is having difficulties dealing with the separation as is.. I want to do everything I can to help her through this but I'm not sure how... It doesn't make it easy having her soon to be step mum be someone I used to call a friend but I'll do anything to make it easy on our daughter...
|