Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Intestinal Disorders Question

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
hi, my problem is passing of stools twice/thrice in the mornings.first thing in the morning,i take water and goes to toilet. again after my walk, i.e about half an hour later, i take coffee and goes to toilet.then after breakfast also sometimes i pass stools. this pattern becomes a problem mostly whenever i travel for business and just can't get ready quickly in the mornings for a meeting or so. what can be done so that i just pass stools only once fully and carry on my work... pl help!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2010
Intestinal Disorders Answer A13364
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the compulsion to go to the toilet twice/thrice to the toilet for motion after taking something like food, liquid etc.
This might be the result of the normal gastrocolic reflex that whenever you eat/drink something you feel the need to go to the toilet. You need not worry about the same if everything else is normal i.e. your weight and appetite are normal and there are no other complaints such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation etc.
Clinically, the gastrocolic reflex has been implicated in pathogenesis of irritable bowel syndrome: the very act of eating or drinking can provoke an overreaction of the gastrocolic response in some patients with irritable bowel syndrome due to their heightened visceral sensitivity, and this can lead to abdominal pain, diarrhoea, or constipation.
You can consult your personal physician for the evaluation of the same and appropriate management as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Intestinal Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.